Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming?(Hi, I have a very slow machine (Atom with 1 gig of ram). I normally use Notepad++ but now want more advance features like a debugger, code completition, etc.)
Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming? [message #1853696] Wed, 13 July 2022 19:26 Go to next message
Peter Parker is currently offline Peter ParkerFriend
Hi, I have a very slow machine (Atom with 1 gig of ram). I normally use Notepad++ but now want more advance features like a debugger, code completition, etc.

I have tried the following and didn't like them:

PHPStorm (slow and memory hungry)

Netbeans (same as PHPStorm)

Eclipse PDT (same as PHPStorm)

Sublime Text 2 ( many plugins are a real pain to get working, it would take me weeks to have it as I want. Some plugins gave me errors I couldn't solve after searching a lot. )

Do you know any lightweight PHP IDE that is good enough, and would offer at least code completition, debuggin (xdebug?) and detect syntax errors as I type?

[Updated on: Wed, 13 July 2022 19:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming? [message #1854045 is a reply to message #1853696] Fri, 29 July 2022 09:53 Go to previous message
Dieter SchmidtFriend
Until now I haven't found a lightweight editor that meets my needs . For quick stuff notepad++ is still my solution (quick and no complex configuration/add-on management). If you install the 32bit Version (instead of 64bit) then you can add phpAutocompletion and DBGp (xdebug) via the plugin manager. But DBGp I've never used and I've no experience about it.

Maybe these links are helpful for you to find alternatives:

• en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PHP_editors
  • en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_text_editors#Programming_features
  • en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#PHP

sorry about the truncated links, but newbies (like me) it's not allowed to add external links. So you have to add https:// manually.

--------------------------------------------
Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers
Version: 2022-06 (4.24.0)
Build id: 20220609-1112
Previous Topic:Need Some Help Regarding Setup
Next Topic:I need a donate button!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:33:14 GMT 2024