Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Asserting multiple errors with ValidationTestHelper
Asserting multiple errors with ValidationTestHelper [message #1853453] Sat, 02 July 2022 17:43 Go to next message
Mirko Raner is currently offline Mirko RanerFriend
I'm trying to assert the presence of multiple errors using the ValidationTestHelper, but it looks like the available methods only allow to assert a single issue, and I get errors like this:
org.junit.ComparisonFailure: expected:<[]> but was:<[Expected ERROR 'Duplicate Element 'one'' on SingleDeclaredExpression at [44:3] but got
ERROR (null) 'Duplicate Element 'one'' on SingleDeclaredExpression, offset 44, length 3
ERROR (null) 'Duplicate Element 'one'' on SingleDeclaredExpression, offset 61, length 3
]>
    at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:117)
    at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:146)
    at org.eclipse.xtext.testing.validation.ValidationTestHelper.assertIssue(ValidationTestHelper.java:285)
    at org.eclipse.xtext.testing.validation.ValidationTestHelper.assertIssue(ValidationTestHelper.java:138)
    at org.eclipse.xtext.testing.validation.ValidationTestHelper.assertError(ValidationTestHelper.java:123)

I had a cursory look at the implementation of ValidationTestHelper and came to the conclusion that it appears to be designed for dealing with single issues only. Can someone confirm this or am I overlooking some API here?
It's easy enough to do the assertions manually, without the helper class, I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if there is already some existing functionality.
Re: Asserting multiple errors with ValidationTestHelper [message #1853454 is a reply to message #1853453] Sat, 02 July 2022 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamas Miklossy is currently offline Tamas MiklossyFriend
Hello Mirko!

You can take some inspiration from the Eclipse GEF DOT project:

https://github.com/eclipse/gef/blob/master/org.eclipse.gef.dot.tests/src/org/eclipse/gef/dot/tests/DotValidatorTest.xtend

Hope that helps,
Tamás
Re: Asserting multiple errors with ValidationTestHelper [message #1853455 is a reply to message #1853453] Sat, 02 July 2022 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
you can also assert issues at specific positions

package org.xtext.example.mydsl.tests

import com.google.inject.Inject
import org.eclipse.xtext.diagnostics.Severity
import org.eclipse.xtext.testing.InjectWith
import org.eclipse.xtext.testing.extensions.InjectionExtension
import org.eclipse.xtext.testing.util.ParseHelper
import org.eclipse.xtext.testing.validation.ValidationTestHelper
import org.junit.jupiter.api.Assertions
import org.junit.jupiter.api.Test
import org.junit.jupiter.api.^extension.ExtendWith
import org.xtext.example.mydsl.myDsl.Model
import org.xtext.example.mydsl.myDsl.MyDslPackage
import org.xtext.example.mydsl.validation.MyDslValidator

@ExtendWith(InjectionExtension)
@InjectWith(MyDslInjectorProvider)
class MyDslParsingTest {
	@Inject
	ParseHelper<Model> parseHelper

@Inject
	ValidationTestHelper h

@Test
	def void loadModel() {
		val result = parseHelper.parse('''
			Hello aaaa!
			Hello Xtext!
			Hello bbbb!
		''')
		Assertions.assertNotNull(result)
		val errors = result.eResource.errors
		Assertions.assertTrue(errors.isEmpty, '''Unexpected errors: «errors.join(", ")»''')
		h.assertIssue(result.eResource, MyDslPackage.Literals.GREETING, MyDslValidator.INVALID_NAME, 6, 4, Severity.WARNING,
			"Name should start with a capital");
		h.assertIssue(result.eResource, MyDslPackage.Literals.GREETING, MyDslValidator.INVALID_NAME, 31, 4, Severity.WARNING,
			"Name should start with a capital");
	}
}

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Asserting multiple errors with ValidationTestHelper [message #1853488 is a reply to message #1853455] Mon, 04 July 2022 23:14 Go to previous message
Mirko Raner is currently offline Mirko RanerFriend
Thanks, Tamás and Christian.
I guess I was just too singularly focused on finding an API that allowed me to assert a list of issues in a single call; your suggestion set me on the right track.
Previous Topic:Adding elements
Next Topic:I have 2 DSLs. When I launch the 2nd instance of Eclipse only 1 of them is active.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 09:34:12 GMT 2024