Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Creating .Net Core projects(Is it better to import a repository for .Net Core)
Creating .Net Core projects [message #1851850] Wed, 20 April 2022 01:04 Go to next message
Sam Hobbs is currently offline Sam HobbsFriend
This question might require familiarity with .Net Core to answer it.

I have been doing the following to create a .Net Core project and push to a new GitHub repository.

• Create empty repository in GitHub
  • Create a project using dotnet command in a new directory
  • Open project from file system
  • Share project (create local repository)
  • Modify files
  • Commit and push

For those unfamiliar with .Net, that works, but getting the local and remote repositories connected seems a bit cumbersome. I can do it but then I tried doing the following.

• Create empty repository in GitHub
  • Import the repository into Eclipse
  • Create project using dotnet command in the project's directory
  • Refresh Eclipse of course
  • Modify files
  • Commit and push

That is easier for me. Is there a potential problem (relevant to Eclipse) I do not realize?

One thing I am not sure of is whether to import as New Project wizard or as general project. The default is general project and I assume that since it is an empty repository, New Project wizard would do nothing I need done.

For what it is worth, I am currently using How to deploy ASP.NET Blazor WebAssembly to GitHub Pages and using Eclipse for the IDE instead of Visual Studio or Visual Studio Code.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 April 2022 03:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Creating .Net Core projects [message #1851887 is a reply to message #1851850] Thu, 21 April 2022 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This looks generally fine. Creating/importing any type of project will create a .project file in the folder. This is an XML file that is generally hidden in the explorer views. The view menu (next to the min/max controls in the upper right of the view) has Filters... and it's possible to uncheck the .* resources filter to show them. The .project file can includes information about natures and builders, but you likely don't need any that because you don't have a Java project nor a C++ project that need such specialized configuration.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Creating .Net Core projects [message #1851917 is a reply to message #1851887] Thu, 21 April 2022 16:15 Go to previous message
Sam Hobbs is currently offline Sam HobbsFriend
Thank you.
Previous Topic:Eclipse 2022 installation error
Next Topic:marketplace error after fresh install of 2020-06
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:29:12 GMT 2024