Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » arduino / sloeber: how to use #define via configuration?
arduino / sloeber: how to use #define via configuration? [message #1851844] Tue, 19 April 2022 16:33 Go to next message
Andreas Butch is currently offline Andreas ButchFriend
Hi, I am fairly new to eclipse. I am programming arduino with sloeber IDE which is based on eclipse. I assume that my question is generic to c++ eclipse IDE, so that you may help in general.

Since arduino is not capable of using the normal debugger, I need to use debug messages on serial interface to see whats going on. I would like to have debug and release builds. Debug is containing will set some #defines to active while they are not defined or inactive in a release build.

I created a header file debug_includes/config.h with following content:

#ifndef CONFIGURATION_DEBUG_H_
#define CONFIGURATION_DEBUG_H_

#define PROJECT_CONFIG_IS_DEBUG 1
#define IS_DEBUG_TB6612 1
#define TB6612_ENABLE_OUTPUTS 1

#endif /* CONFIGURATION_DEBUG_H_ */

I included this file as c++ preprocessor file (see screenshot):
index.php/fa/41948/0/

Within the IDE it looks good, the debug part is active:
index.php/fa/41949/0/

But when I want to build I get the following error:
18:18:41 **** Build of configuration debug for project NRF24L01_receiver ****
"D:\\Sloeber_4.4.0\\arduinoPlugin\\tools\\make\\make" all 
'Building file: ..\sloeber.ino.cpp'
'Starting C++ compile'
"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7/bin/avr-g++" -c -g -Os -Wall -Wextra -std=gnu++11 -fpermissive -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -Wno-error=narrowing -MMD -flto -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=8000000L -DARDUINO=10812 -DARDUINO_AVR_PRO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR     -I"D:\Arduino\workspace_git\workspace_new\NRF24L01_receiver\debug_includes" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\cores\arduino" -I"D:\Arduino\libraries\EnhancedServo" -I"D:\Arduino\libraries\MotorDriverTB6612FNG" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\RF24\1.4.1" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\ArduinoLog\1.1.1" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\libraries\SPI\src" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\Servo\1.1.8\src" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\RF24\1.4.1\utility" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\FastCRC\1.42.0\src" -I"D:\Arduino\libraries\MemoryFree" -I"D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\packages\arduino\hardware\avr\1.8.5\variants\eightanaloginputs" -MMD -MP -MF"sloeber.ino.cpp.d" -MT"sloeber.ino.cpp.o" -D__IN_ECLIPSE__=1 -x c++ "..\sloeber.ino.cpp"   -o "sloeber.ino.cpp.o"
..\sloeber.ino.cpp:8:1: error: 'null' does not name a type
 null
 ^~~~
In file included from ..\sloeber.ino.cpp:32:0:
D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\ArduinoLog\1.1.1/ArduinoLog.h: In member function 'void Logging::print(const Printable&, va_list)':
D:\Sloeber_4.4.0\arduinoPlugin\libraries\ArduinoLog\1.1.1/ArduinoLog.h:329:43: warning: unused parameter 'args' [-Wunused-parameter]
  void print(const Printable& obj, va_list args)
                                           ^~~~
make: *** [subdir.mk:20: sloeber.ino.cpp.o] Error 1
"D:/Sloeber_4.4.0/arduinoPlugin/tools/make/make all" terminated with exit code 2. Build might be incomplete.

18:18:43 Build Failed. 2 errors, 1 warnings. (took 2s.916ms)

The generated sloeber.cpp looks like this:

#include "Arduino.h"
null
#define LED_RIGHT 1
#define IS_MODEL_GENERIC 0
#define IS_MODEL_BULLY 0
#define IS_MODEL_POLICE_PORSCHE 0

It does not matter if I choose preprocessor macro file or include file for pointing at the file. The error is the same.
What am I missing? Can anyone help?

Looks like the IDE (editor) is working correctly, but something weird is happening during build.

Thanks a lot
Re: arduino / sloeber: how to use #define via configuration? [message #1851849 is a reply to message #1851844] Wed, 20 April 2022 00:11 Go to previous message
Gleb Plekhotko is currently offline Gleb PlekhotkoFriend
I'm not familiar with Sloeber and have no idea what and how it "generates" but this "null" is definitely out of place:
#include "Arduino.h"
null
#define LED_RIGHT 1

It is not a variable, it is not a macro, it is just a random text from the compiler's point of view. Check how you've got it in you source file.
Previous Topic:Failed to execute MI command: -data-evaluate-expression
Next Topic:External browser with relative paths
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 05:31:04 GMT 2024