Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » My Console Output Vanishes -- Why???(Issues with Console Window - Output Vanishes)
My Console Output Vanishes -- Why??? [message #1851720] Wed, 13 April 2022 15:01 Go to next message
PETER HUMMON is currently offline PETER HUMMONFriend
Hi everyone, I'm an intermediate-level coder who has learned some of Eclipse's features, but I'm no-where near an Eclipse expert. FYI, I'm using Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, Version: 2021-12 (4.22.0). I'm running it on a Windows 10 laptop.

So I am working with a fairly large Java program (~1,000 lines of code) that, when run, generates a lot of output to the Console window. This code was written by a colleague; basically, it interacts with a remote database, and pulls a lot of data for analysis. I've been using this code for a while, with no issues.

Until this week. Now, when I run the code, I see the usual console output at first... but then, without warning, all of the console output completely vanishes from the Console window! Every last character on the Console window vanishes completely. The Console window goes completely blank.

At first, I thought I must have clicked "Clear Console Window" by mistake. But no! I consistently see this behavior on multiple runs. The usual console output is printed to the Console Window, and then it just... vanishes.

I do have a theory. The code, as I said, pulls data from my database; some of that data are JSON files. My code prints the JSON files to the screen as a single string. Well, the database's JSON files seem to have grown into monstrous length (> 50 Meg). Maybe when Eclipse tries to print such an enormous string to the Console, the Console window can't handle it?

But I generally wanted to ask the forum: Has anyone else seen this behavior before? Any advice? I apologize for the vague symptoms; I realize this isn't a very descriptive posting. But thanks in advance
Re: My Console Output Vanishes -- Why??? [message #1851727 is a reply to message #1851720] Wed, 13 April 2022 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Is your Console preference page set to Limit console output?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: My Console Output Vanishes -- Why??? [message #1851748 is a reply to message #1851727] Thu, 14 April 2022 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PETER HUMMON is currently offline PETER HUMMONFriend
Its on default; I didn't know you could set that. Thanks
Re: My Console Output Vanishes -- Why??? [message #1851759 is a reply to message #1851748] Fri, 15 April 2022 05:09 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The context menu of the console has Preferences... And from that page you can set the max buffer size which is set to 80000 and I often increase that by x 10.

Often if I have things with huge logs, I use the Common tab of the launch configuration to specify an Output File so that the logged information is in file I can view later and has unlimited size.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:when install new Software ProvisionException occurred
Next Topic:Stuck trying to set up Eclipse Che as an in-browser IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:27:02 GMT 2024