Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » console log link to source line exists? in the works?(CDT has feature? Source link in console log output? They're working on it?)
console log link to source line exists? in the works? [message #1850616] Thu, 10 March 2022 10:17
Charles Shoopak is currently offline Charles ShoopakFriend
Common feature to IDEs, to be able to click on a link in your log output and it takes you to the line in the source file. For Java and pydev eclipse, you just need to output the filename:line# , the file name and line number separated by a colon will do the trick. No so for CDT. You do get error messages from the compiler that you can double click and that takes you to the line. There is a trick where you can call yourC/C++ code from python and it will output as a link.

Other IDEs have this feature. If Eclipse has it, it's pretty well hidden. If they don't is someone or anyone already working on it? I did not see searching for it in bugzilla before posting this query. Is there a reason that it hasn't been included, meaning something about the task that makes it especially difficult? Is there some guidance from someone familiar with that type of development if it doesn't exist and I wanted to take on the task, but not start cold?

I can see many of the cdt jars are here on my mac

/Users/charles/.p2/pool/plugins

But which one controls console output? And how to find the Java dev environment equivalent? Meaning could I compare the Java console to the CDT console code and adapt to pick up the source? Or it's much more involved?

More clues found here, but I'd need some help to do:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6469445/how-to-get-eclipse-console-to-hyperlink-text-to-source-code-files

I started to download Visual Studio and xcode, but I don't like their GUI look and feel, not a big fan of Jet Brains either for same reason, plus I'm a little short of space on my old machine. So I'm sticking with Eclipse, but I'd like to get console log link to source without resorting to running from python. Am I overlooking something obvious?

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2022 14:11]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:StackOverFlowerror Recursive ProgressMonitorWrapper
Next Topic:Preprocessor symbols at the file level
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:32:52 GMT 2024