Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Configuration of GDB(Cannot produce and debug 64 bit images. Just get 32 bit all the time)
Configuration of GDB [message #1849935] Wed, 09 February 2022 02:02
Mark Walker is currently offline Mark WalkerFriend
Rightly, I should be with the newbys. However, I'm an old man and i've written a lot of SW over the years so I think what I ask is not trivial.
I think that I've got the compiler to produce 64 bit images. But, when I want to debug I end up back in the 32 bit world.
gdb reports that it is using the 64 bit support for 32 bits. I want it to work on 64 bit by 64 bit images.
From the gdb documentation, I understand that a number of configuration files are read during gdb start up. Most with "gdbinit" in their names.
I am looking at Window->Preferences->C++->Debug->GDB and I find that there is an entry in the "GDB command file" field. It is ".gdbinit". I thought perhaps I could modify this file to configure the gdb debug utility for the 64bit x 64 bit images that I want.
I have searched my main disk a number of times and I cannot find this file.
I presume therefore that the file does not exist and therefore, GDB is defaulting to the basic of the basic settings which I assume were included in the build.
Windows 11 will now accommodate files with names starting with ".". So I could create a configurations file for gdb. My questions is that given that the .gdb startup/configuration file given by Eclipse, where would I locate this file.
I love the eclipse IDE.
I used to use the Borland IDEs when Borland couldn't give their software away, now I cant afford it. I discovered Eclipse and I think it is fantastic. I am a retired amateur, I will continue with it but I would like to write 64 bit images rather that 32bit images.
Would one of you Ladies or Gentlemen help me.
Thank You.
Previous Topic:Eclipse debug C/C++ console missing scanf input
Next Topic:Project Build Configurations Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:11:50 GMT 2024