Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh(Always get 'remote hung up unexpectedly' just before end of clone ssh://philippebrossel@git.eclipse.org:29418/platform/eclipse.platform.ui)
Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849063] Fri, 31 December 2021 22:16 Go to next message
Philippe Brossel is currently offline Philippe BrosselFriend
I try to clone using this uri :
ssh://philippebrossel@git.eclipse.org:29418/platform/eclipse.platform.ui

When nearly finished (resolved deltas ...), I always get
'remote hung up unexpectedly'

Am I doing something wrong ?

I use eclipse.buildId=4.22.0.I20211124-1800

Here's the contents of the eclipse log :

!ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.ui 4 0 2021-12-31 22:51:24.198
!MESSAGE ssh://philippebrossel@git.eclipse.org:29418/platform/eclipse.platform.ui: remote hung up unexpectedly
!STACK 0
org.eclipse.jgit.api.errors.TransportException: ssh://philippebrossel@git.eclipse.org:29418/platform/eclipse.platform.ui: remote hung up unexpectedly
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.FetchCommand.call(FetchCommand.java:224)
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.CloneCommand.fetch(CloneCommand.java:311)
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.CloneCommand.call(CloneCommand.java:182)
at org.eclipse.egit.core.op.CloneOperation.run(CloneOperation.java:194)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.clone.AbstractGitCloneWizard.executeCloneOperation(AbstractGitCloneWizard.java:490)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.clone.AbstractGitCloneWizard$6.run(AbstractGitCloneWizard.java:464)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)
Caused by: org.eclipse.jgit.errors.TransportException: ssh://philippebrossel@git.eclipse.org:29418/platform/eclipse.platform.ui: remote hung up unexpectedly
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportGitSsh$SshFetchConnection.<init>(TransportGitSsh.java:313)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportGitSsh.openFetch(TransportGitSsh.java:153)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.FetchProcess.reopenConnection(FetchProcess.java:305)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.FetchProcess.executeImp(FetchProcess.java:196)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.FetchProcess.execute(FetchProcess.java:93)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.Transport.fetch(Transport.java:1309)
at org.eclipse.jgit.api.FetchCommand.call(FetchCommand.java:213)
... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Channel id=1 not registered because session is being closed: ChannelExec[id=1, recipient=-1]-JGitClientSession[philippebrossel@git.eclipse.org/198.41.30.196:29418]
at org.apache.sshd.common.channel.AbstractChannel.handleChannelRegistrationResult(AbstractChannel.java:446)
at org.apache.sshd.common.session.helpers.AbstractConnectionService.registerChannel(AbstractConnectionService.java:423)
at org.apache.sshd.client.session.AbstractClientSession.createExecChannel(AbstractClientSession.java:386)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.sshd.SshdSession.exec(SshdSession.java:303)
at org.eclipse.jgit.transport.TransportGitSsh$SshFetchConnection.<init>(TransportGitSsh.java:289)
... 12 more

Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849074 is a reply to message #1849063] Sat, 01 January 2022 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
That looks strangely similar to bug 573205... though here it's Gerrit closing the connection, not Bitbucket cloud returning a server-side error.

I'm beginning to think JGit is maybe doing something not quite right after all. But I have no idea what that might be.

Try selecting "Fetch all tags" when cloning.
Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849078 is a reply to message #1849074] Sun, 02 January 2022 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many thanks !
Quote:
Try selecting "Fetch all tags" when cloning.
did the trick.
If I can do something to help to find out what the real problem is , please let me known.
Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849083 is a reply to message #1849078] Sun, 02 January 2022 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I clone this repo with my development version of EGit/JGit, I don't get "remote end hung up unexpectedly". I initially got "read timed out after 30.000 ms" after resolving deltas, when I increased the "connection timeout" in the Git preferences in Eclipse to 120s, cloning worked. (JGit uses a single timeout for connection and read timeout.)

But my development version uses Apache MINA sshd 2.8.0, and I currently have no easy way to revert back to 2.7.0. I know that there was a bug in 2.7.0 that could break connections when a lot of data is transferred (as in the case of this repo), which I had fixed for 2.8.0. So possibly that's the cause (but that's just a guess).

Gerrit also should not take 30s or more to respond to that second request. I don't know why it takes that much time.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 January 2022 22:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849097 is a reply to message #1849083] Mon, 03 January 2022 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My problem is solved. Many thanks for that.
You do not need to investigate more deeply, since the problem seems to be solved in your latest setup.
It was important for me to be able to clone the repo in order to contribute on another bug.

Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849610 is a reply to message #1849097] Wed, 26 January 2022 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Gerrit has a timeout
https://git.eclipse.org/r/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#sshd.idleTimeout
which closes the connection if there is no packet sent by the client for longer than the configured timeout.
Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1849615 is a reply to message #1849610] Wed, 26 January 2022 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn wrote on Wed, 26 January 2022 18:00
Gerrit has a timeout
https://git.eclipse.org/r/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#sshd.idleTimeout
which closes the connection if there is no packet sent by the client for longer than the configured timeout.

But that timeout is for connections "not waiting for any server operation to complete"?

Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1860823 is a reply to message #1849083] Tue, 05 September 2023 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
AI Spam removed

[Updated on: Wed, 04 October 2023 13:15] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Always getting 'remote hung up unexpectedly' when cloning eclipse.platform.ui over ssh [message #1860919 is a reply to message #1860823] Fri, 08 September 2023 18:29 Go to previous message
Sorry, I cannot help you with this. This is the forum for things relating to JGit (a Java implementation of git) and EGit (a UI for JGit in Eclipse). It is not a forum for general questions about the standard C implementation of git, or about SSH in general.

In any case it is impossible to know from the above what exactly happened or happens in your case, which is apparently using the standard git implementation and the normal (OpenSSH) SSH implementation. The only things I can suggest are

• run this with ssh debug output switched on (using ssh -vvv as an ssh command)
  • maybe even with git packet trace logging switched on (environment variable GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1)
  • double-check that you use the right SSH key on the client side, and that the correct corresponding public key is registered in your Github account
  • if you're using an RSA key, consider switching to an EcDSA or eddsa key
  • verify that fetching works first
Previous Topic:Doesn't refresh history after deleting local branch
Next Topic:Using ProxyCommand on JGit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:20:01 GMT 2024