Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » How can I transform an xtext dsl file to xml?
How can I transform an xtext dsl file to xml? [message #1848884] Wed, 22 December 2021 10:10 Go to next message
Soulimane KAMNI is currently offline Soulimane KAMNIFriend
I have created a grammar using xtext, and generated the DSL. Now, I want to transform the DSL elements (program that is conforming to the grammar) to XML elements. So, I am wondering if there is a framework that allows to do that using Java for example. I could open the files having the extension of the DSL using the eclipse editor "Sample Reflective Ecore Model Editor" and could visualize the elements of the DSL.

I couldn't get the XMI representation of the file.

Is there any solution to perform the transformation?
Thank you in advance.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2021 10:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can I transform an xtext dsl file to xml? [message #1848895 is a reply to message #1848884] Wed, 22 December 2021 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

In principle, Xtext is just an alternative textual syntax for an EMF resource, so interactively Save as YourFile.xml should work, and I think it used to, but no more. (If Xtext is going to ignore the extension on a regular Save AS, it would be nice if there was a distinct Save AS XML action.)

Programmatically, Xtext loads and parses your model to a Resource conforming to YourDSL.ecore, so programatically after you have loaded/parsed YourDSLResource, you can create a new (XML)Resource, assign the top level YourDSLResource.getContents() to (XML)Resource and save it. If you want to continue using Xext facilities, assign the contents back again.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: How can I transform an xtext dsl file to xml? [message #1848898 is a reply to message #1848895] Wed, 22 December 2021 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soulimane KAMNI is currently offline Soulimane KAMNIFriend
I still get the same content when I open the file using an XML editor. I need the XML representation so that I can transform the content into another XML content that is compatible with Capella.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 December 2021 14:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How can I transform an xtext dsl file to xml? [message #1848903 is a reply to message #1848898] Wed, 22 December 2021 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

As I wrote, you must asign the content to an XMLResource so that the XMLResourceFactory or XMIResourceFactory is used to supervise the serialization.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: How can I transform an xtext dsl file to xml? [message #1848909 is a reply to message #1848903] Thu, 23 December 2021 07:34 Go to previous message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
you can also simply implement MyDslGenerator and produce the final xml there

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Previous Topic:XText project migrating from Eclipse to LSP : No ContentAssist working
Next Topic:Xtext 2.26.0.M2 is available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:31:31 GMT 2024