Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to apply bug fix to current release
How to apply bug fix to current release [message #1848767] Thu, 16 December 2021 11:00 Go to next message
Alain Picard is currently offline Alain PicardFriend
In the last few releases, I have encountered regressions, that were reported and corrected quickly, but I am still stuck with a broken environment until the next rolling release comes next quarter.

Is there any way to pull in such fixed plugin in the current released version, assuming that the fix is localized to a single plugin, which is usually the case with such regressions.

I know that I can (and have done it before) get the source and build a new updated plugin and update my environment, but this is not an easy path and often requires even meddling with the versions that have now been updated for the new release cycle.

Maybe I'm looking for something that is not there, but curious how other are handling this, as I now have a serious bug that was fixed within days, but is now making my life a misery.

Alain
Re: How to apply bug fix to current release [message #1848771 is a reply to message #1848767] Thu, 16 December 2021 12:12 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, setting up a development environment, applying a fix, and building a replacement is not a trivial exercise in general. Testing during each release cycle and reporting problems before the release would be much better, i.e., preventing the problem rather than dealing with it after-the-fact. Such testing would also provide a valuable service to the community overall. But that's water under the bridge now.

What you're looking for is maintenance releases as asked about very recently here:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/1109320/1848657/#msg_1848657

If enough companies with enough resources joined the IDE Working Group with this in mind as a goal, that could make it feasible. Failing that, do-it-yourself is the only solution and that most certainly isn't a free solution either...

Can't you use the development stream to get your fixes?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Marketplace plugin missing
Next Topic:Unable to configure Eclipse Debug for Gradle Project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:07:32 GMT 2024