Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » How to build a Sirius product without using update mode?
How to build a Sirius product without using update mode? [message #1848183] Wed, 24 November 2021 08:35 Go to next message
Tim Duncan is currently offline Tim DuncanFriend
Sirius BasicFamily Tutorial gives a feature-based mean to build a product by creating an update site, it is a detail and helpful instruction.
But how can I build a stand-alone running product just using the plugin-based mean? Although it's said this method is more simple, but i still encountered some troubles. Is there any detail turorial or instruction?

from Sirius help doc:
A product configuration can be plugin-based or feature-based. A plugin-based configuration is the default because it is simple and does not force you to understand concepts like features before building a product. A feature-based configuration is more powerful though, since it enables you to deliver a product that is updatable. That is, you can later publish patches or upgrades to your product on an update site and have your customers use the Eclipse installer to download and install these updates.
Re: How to build a Sirius product without using update mode? [message #1848237 is a reply to message #1848183] Thu, 25 November 2021 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Monnier is currently offline Steve MonnierFriend
Hello Tim,

The plugin-based approach to deploy your plugins in a new Eclipse installation would be by selecting your plugins, then choosing the contextual menu "Export", then select "Plug-in development > Deployable plug-ins and fragment". This will lead you to a window where you can select all the plugins you want to export (if you selected the ones you need, they will be already selected here). At the bottom of the window, you can select a directory where you will have each plugins exported as a .jar file or you can choose archive file that will produce an archive containing each project as a jar.
To deploy these plugins in a new Eclipse environment, you can just copy/paste the .jar files in the "plugins" folder of this new Eclipse or you can copy/paste the archive in the dropins folder (You may be able to drop the .jars in the dropins folder but I do not remember if that works). When you launch this new Eclipse, it will load your new plugins as well and be ready to work.

As you see, it is a quicker way to deploy. It is not really "updatable", but you can still replace an old version of the exported jar and restart (you may need to add the "-clean" option to the eclipse.ini to reload plugins). It is a quick way to test, but I would not recommand to deploy your Sirius product that way, as it would look like your solution is "cobbled together" (I am not sure if it is the proper expression here) compare to a feature-based approach where you can also quickly produce an update site. You can also produce your own bundle with Tycho[1], but that is a whole other level of product building.

Best regards,
Steve
[1] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.tycho

Steve Monnier - Obeo Canada
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: How to build a Sirius product without using update mode? [message #1848285 is a reply to message #1848237] Fri, 26 November 2021 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Duncan is currently offline Tim DuncanFriend
ThanksSteve! It is very instructive and really helpful. Thank you !
Re: How to build a Sirius product without using update mode? [message #1848298 is a reply to message #1848285] Fri, 26 November 2021 23:21 Go to previous message
Steve Monnier is currently offline Steve MonnierFriend
Hi Tim,

I am glad it helped :)

Best regards,
Steve

Steve Monnier - Obeo Canada
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Previous Topic:Difference SIRIUS and Obeo-Designer
Next Topic:Printing diagrams blurs SVG Graphics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:29:53 GMT 2024