Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Failed to create Virtual Machine(Error Code when Installing)
Failed to create Virtual Machine [message #1848114] Sun, 21 November 2021 10:17 Go to next message
Raphael Albers is currently offline Raphael AlbersFriend
Hello,
So in the past couple of days i have tried to install Eclipse.
It is not the first time installing eclipse and i have never had this problem.
So Yesterday i was able to install eclipse and start it right out of the launcher, but as soon as i restarted it(not from the installer) i got the message that eclipse is not able to create a Virtual Machine. But today i tried reinstalling everything (Java JDK and Eclipse). But now i get the Virtual Machine Error as soon as i start the installer, which means i cant even install it right now.

What I have tried so far:
-Set JAVA_HOME Variable
-Reinstall Java
-Reinstall Eclipse(which doesnt work anymore)
-Set _JAVA_OPTIONS Variable to "-Xmx512m"

This is all i could find as a fix on the internet so far. If anyone has a suggestion what i should try please say so.
(btw im sorry if the explanation is really bad i cant really descripe it)

Re: Failed to create Virtual Machine [message #1848146 is a reply to message #1848114] Mon, 22 November 2021 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The recent installers come with a JRE that works out of the box. Which installer are you using?

The installer adds a -vm argument to the eclipse.ini, except when the JRE you choose is the default JRE. Perhaps there is some confusion about which is the default JRE on your system or you have changed it (installed a different version of Java, perhaps Java 8 when Java 11 is required for a recent release of Eclipse.

Look in the eclipse.ini. Does it contain two lines like this:
-vm
C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-11.0.9/bin
If not, add two lines to the start of the file (two separate lines and be careful there is no trailing whitespace). If it's there already, make sure it points to a Java 11 installation of Java.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Failed to create Virtual Machine [message #1848148 is a reply to message #1848146] Mon, 22 November 2021 14:49 Go to previous message
Raphael Albers is currently offline Raphael AlbersFriend
Hey, I actually got it to work.
I just reinstalled everything again but i was using the newest JDK which was i think 17.0.1 or so and the jre from the installer, idk why that error came up.
But anyways it works now and i have no clue what i did haha.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 November 2021 14:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:MultiThreading java program not working in eclipse
Next Topic:Updating Eclipse do not work
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:11:53 GMT 2024