Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Difference SIRIUS and Obeo-Designer
Difference SIRIUS and Obeo-Designer [message #1848108] Sat, 20 November 2021 12:42 Go to next message
René Hilgemann is currently offline René HilgemannFriend
Hello,

as far as I know the Obeo-Designer includes SIRIUS.
I would like to know now what are the differences between SIRIUS and Obeo-Designer?
I tried to install only SIRIUS in Eclipse to compare it, but got errors like https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/1108260/

So where "ends" SIRIUS and where "starts" Obeo-Designer?

For me it is confusing that on an Eclipse article SIRIUS is explained with screenshots from Obeo-Designer:

https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2013/november/article1.php

Thank you in advance!
Re: Difference SIRIUS and Obeo-Designer [message #1848128 is a reply to message #1848108] Mon, 22 November 2021 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pierre-Charles David is currently offline Pierre-Charles DavidFriend
Sirius is the Eclipse project. It is completely open source, and produces Eclipse plug-ins and features that must be installed inside an Eclipse-based product to be used (i.e. there is no "sirius.exe" that you can launch).
You can install it yourself inside any Eclipse-based product by pointing to one of our update sites, but you have to decide which parts you want/need (some are optional) and make sure all the dependencies are available.

Obeo Designer Community is an Eclipse-based product which we at Obeo build and distribute for free. It is ready to run, and already includes the most common subset of Sirius pre-installed which should cover 95% of use cases (we do not pre-install some optional features like support for OCL, ELK, etc., though they can be installed explicitly afterwards if you need them). Everything in Obeo Designer CE (Community Edition) is open source. It is just a convenience we provide so that you do not have to install everything yourself with compatible versions, etc. but there is no "secret sauce" and if you are familiar enough with building Eclipse products you can reproduce an equivalent package.

For articles which present Sirius features it is much easier for everyone to start from an Obeo Designer CE installation so that we do not spend time with boring installation steps ("so, before we can actually start, simply follow these 12 easy steps to get a working install..."). It also ensures that everyone who wants to e.g. follow a tutorial will start with a working installation with no missing dependency or subtly incompatible versions.

We also provide an Obeo Designer Team Edition, which is also a ready-to-run package. It is a super-set of the Community Edition with proprietary add-ons which extend Sirius for real-time collaborative work.

Pierre-Charles David - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Difference SIRIUS and Obeo-Designer [message #1848190 is a reply to message #1848128] Wed, 24 November 2021 14:06 Go to previous message
René Hilgemann is currently offline René HilgemannFriend
Thank you for the very informativ replay!
Previous Topic:Java Services???
Next Topic:How to build a Sirius product without using update mode?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:44:49 GMT 2024