Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Semantic Token support on Xtext LSP
Semantic Token support on Xtext LSP [message #1847709] Thu, 04 November 2021 09:42 Go to next message
Alejandro González is currently offline Alejandro GonzálezFriend
Hi everyone,

I'm coming from this question in SO (stackoverflow.com/q/69820560/3222340).

We're currently testing a VS Code extension with an Xtext LS. So far all works fine. We're now at a point where we would like to go deeper on text highlighting (more precisely, semantic highlighting).

From the communication between the VS Code extension (client) and the Xtext LSP (server) I was able to see that Xtext's LSP implementation (LanguageServerImpl) does not offer a Semantic Token Provider as a server capability. That is mainly the reason why there are no requests of type 'textDocument/semanticTokens/*' from the client to the LSP.

I was able to enhance the Xtext project and create a new custom language server by extending the class "LanguageServerImpl", adding a Semantic Token Provider as capability and listening to the different RPC endpoints for semantic tokenization:

public class CustomLanguageServerImpl extends LanguageServerImpl {

@Override
	protected ServerCapabilities createServerCapabilities(InitializeParams params) {

ServerCapabilities capabilities = super.createServerCapabilities(params);

// Create server capabilities for semantic tokens.
		SemanticTokensWithRegistrationOptions options = new SemanticTokensWithRegistrationOptions();

List<String> tokenTypes = new ArrayList<String>();
		tokenTypes.add(SemanticTokenTypes.Namespace);

List<String> tokenModifiers = new ArrayList<String>();
		tokenModifiers.add(SemanticTokenModifiers.Declaration);

options.setLegend(new SemanticTokensLegend(tokenTypes, tokenModifiers));
		options.setRange(false);
		options.setFull(true);

capabilities.setSemanticTokensProvider(options);

return capabilities;
        }

@Override
	public CompletableFuture<SemanticTokens> semanticTokensFull(SemanticTokensParams params) {
	}

@Override
	public CompletableFuture<SemanticTokens> semanticTokensRange(SemanticTokensRangeParams params) {
	}

@Override
	public CompletableFuture<Either<SemanticTokens, SemanticTokensDelta>> semanticTokensFullDelta(
	}
}

Surprisingly, now my VS Code extension is capable of sending 'textDocument/semanticTokens/*' requests to the LSP and I'm able to return hardcoded semantic tokens from the LSP.

My question are:

- Does Xtext provide logic to help implementing the methods that must return the semantic tokens? Similarly as Xtext provides already the logic for code completion, renaming, etc...

- If not, would it this mean that we need to create a logic that parses files to find these tokens?

Any kind of guidance on this aspect would be very helpful.

Kind regards.
Re: Semantic Token support on Xtext LSP [message #1847720 is a reply to message #1847709] Thu, 04 November 2021 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
no. nobody contributed that feature yet. you are welcome to do so

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Semantic Token support on Xtext LSP [message #1854897 is a reply to message #1847709] Fri, 16 September 2022 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laila Ikki is currently offline Laila IkkiFriend
Hi,

Thank you for your post. I was just wondering where exactly you added these new server capabilities. I'm customizing the VSCode Xtext Sprotty Example (https://github.com/TypeFox/vscode-xtext-sprotty-example/tree/main/extension), and I'd like to enable custom semantic highlighting based on EObject. I just don't know where I need to go to extend the language server implementation to include that. If you could offer any guidance or point me in any direction, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!
Re: Semantic Token support on Xtext LSP [message #1854905 is a reply to message #1854897] Sat, 17 September 2022 05:40 Go to previous message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
the languageserverimpl class is managed by ServerModule in guice that is used by ServerLauncher.
Meanwhile ruben is working on the topic. https://github.com/eclipse/xtext-core/pull/1960
so you might help there

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Previous Topic:Xtext & Xtend for Java 17: please help testing
Next Topic:Grammar with a post-fix operator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:35:17 GMT 2024