Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Context tool for edge creation
Context tool for edge creation [message #1845109] Thu, 07 October 2021 10:53 Go to next message
Jad El-khoury is currently offline Jad El-khouryFriend
When I define a "tool creation" in my model, the icon for the tool appears in the diagram if I place my mouse in a relevant place on the diagram.

This is does not seem to be available for an "edge creation" tool.
It would be for example be nice to be able to create edges between elements without having to select the tool from the palette.

Am I missing something to enable this or is this feature missing?
Re: Context tool for edge creation [message #1847036 is a reply to message #1845109] Tue, 12 October 2021 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxime Porhel is currently offline Maxime PorhelFriend
Hi,

The Edge Creation tools are "two-clics" tools.
Only the "one-clic" are displayed in the popup bars when the mouse hovers the compatible containers (elements in which your tools would be enabled/valid if selected).
For the Edge Creation tools, you have "the magic tools" which is a generic two clics tools which might give almost the closest functionality.

Regards

Maxime Porhel - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Context tool for edge creation [message #1847039 is a reply to message #1847036] Tue, 12 October 2021 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Maxime.

How do I access "the magic tools"? It's nothing I believe I encountered. Any documentation?

Otherwise, do you think it's a reasonable feature to request for edge tools? I've encountered other modelling tools, where the source container (of the compatible edge) will get some decorations from which one can start to draw an edge.

Jad
Re: Context tool for edge creation [message #1847217 is a reply to message #1847039] Tue, 19 October 2021 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maxime Porhel is currently offline Maxime PorhelFriend
Hi Jad,

You will find it in the palette:
https://i.postimg.cc/5yZFys8f/Generic-Edge-Creation-Tool.png

The Generic Connection Creation Tool ( the one I called "Magic Tool" in my previous answer) as been created to cover your request : the tools use the source/target mappings and other properties of the available edge creation tools of the current diagram to allow the first and second clics, then if one tool is able to be executed, the result appears otherwise the tools asks the user to choose a tool among tools which are compatible with the two clicks.

The use of the "source/target edges" icons for this purpose (as you can see on Notes) was rejected a few years ago for UX and implementation purpose, in favor of the development of this Generic Connection Tool.

Regards

Maxime Porhel - Obeo

Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius

[Updated on: Tue, 19 October 2021 14:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Context tool for edge creation [message #1850563 is a reply to message #1847217] Tue, 08 March 2022 14:48 Go to previous message
Never managed to repond to this thread early enough, but it is never too late I hope.

I found this feature (again) very useful. Thank you for the tips Maxim. But only because I learnt about it.
I hope you (Sirius team) can find a way to make the tool more visible, but I am no UX expert.

Previous Topic:Support for user settings or flags
Next Topic:Auto creation of property view definition?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 20:42:57 GMT 2024