Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to install eclipse plugins offline(How to install eclipse plugins offline)
How to install eclipse plugins offline [message #1844945] Thu, 30 September 2021 12:11 Go to next message
Raphael Zeiger is currently offline Raphael ZeigerFriend
Hi,

I have to use eclipse in an offline environment i.e. no internet connection at all.
All external dependencies to internet resources should be resolved.
I.e. I have to download all artefacts and then copy them to the offline computer.

In particular I have to install the TestNG eclipse extension to the offline computer.
Up to now I downloaded the site-update.jar file from the GitHub project site.
And tried to install it via Help->Install in Eclipse.

I realized that a lot of dependencies were retrieved from the internet.

What is the best way to proceed:
a) Try to figure out which update-sites I have to provide locally. How to I get them. I am affraid that it will be a long number (>10) of sites I have to manually download and provide as a local resource/repository

b) Use a computer with internet access. Install the TestNG eclipse plugin via market place (all further dependencies will be automatically pulled from the internet i guess). Can I use the downloaded resources to configure the offline computer, ie.e. install the TestNG eclipse plugin including all dependencies.

In previous situations I had a similiar problem with python, where I proceded in the following way:
1. Download the package I want to used in the central repository
2. Try to install, if you get a error message that a package is missing go to 1 again
3. After having proccesed step 1 seventimes I got all my package install files and where able to install them offline

What is the best way for installing plugins in an eclipse environment without internet access. Thanks.

Raphael
Re: How to install eclipse plugins offline [message #1844950 is a reply to message #1844945] Thu, 30 September 2021 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raphael Zeiger is currently offline Raphael ZeigerFriend
I did the following which seems to work. But I am not sure if this is the right way, so I am still interested in suggestions and hints on how to do it better:

1. logon to online pc
2. create folder where to download the update-site of the plugin in question using eclipse on commandline e.g. create folder "c:\Projekte\Projekt_1\Tools\local-testng-eclipse-update-site"
3. Download/mirror update-site i.e.:
eclipsec.exe -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.mirrorApplication -source https://testng.org/testng-eclipse-update-site/ -destination c:\Projekte\Projekt_1\Tools\local-testng-eclipse-update-site
eclipsec.exe -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.mirrorApplication -source https://testng.org/testng-eclipse-update-site/ -destination c:\Projekte\Projekt_1\Tools\local-testng-eclipse-update-site
4. Logon to offline computer
5. Now copy directory local-testng-eclipse-update-site to offline computer using a usb stick
6. Continue working only on offline pc
7. start eclipse
8. click on help->install software
9. click on add button and specify copied directory local-testng-eclipse-update-site
10. disable checkbox „Contact all update sites during install to find required software"
11. click next until plugin is installed, there will be some questions about license agreements for example and eclipse has to be started at the end of the installation
It seems that the offline installation has worked so far for me in case of the TestNG eclipse plugin

Please give me hints if there is a better way to install plugins to an offline computer. E.g. in case you have to deal with 10 plugins. Thanks.
Re: How to install eclipse plugins offline [message #1844952 is a reply to message #1844950] Thu, 30 September 2021 16:11 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
That sounds like the way and what I also used. I guess you found https://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Repository_Mirroring and there the -writeMode clean argument suggest that you could mirror a whole bunch of source repositories into a single target repository, if that helps with installing a whole bunch of things in a single step...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:"Error: could not create a java virtual machine"
Next Topic:Cannot install Spring Tools 3 Add-On for Spring Tools 4 from Marketplace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:54:23 GMT 2024