Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Reproduction of CI Build(Building Feature patches for slow bugs and forks)
Reproduction of CI Build [message #1844526] Wed, 15 September 2021 22:32 Go to next message
Jörn Guy Süß is currently offline Jörn Guy SüßFriend

Hello!

I have a bug and submitted a patch, but it is stuck in a stovepipe in a larger merge-train headed for Java 11:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=575629
https://git.eclipse.org/r/c/jgit/jgit/+/185277

I need this patch urgently, so I am aiming to fork and build a feature patch. For this, I need to replicate the JGit build infrastructure that lives somewhere on Eclipse:

https://ci.eclipse.org/jgit/job/stable/job/jgit.gerrit-pipeline/5407/

Is there a reproducible description (container-based), or is this the only location where I can faithfully build JGit (I-am-a-snowflake build server)?

I have set up a bazel, as I found a bazel file and I found that there is a maven build, but it fails as it references some natives, and there is no information what the root call to maven actually is.

Thanks for any advice. Feels a bit like developing on big iron. ;)
Re: Reproduction of CI Build [message #1844527 is a reply to message #1844526] Wed, 15 September 2021 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quick update, I checked the CI descriptor in the mvn pom as well, it points to ci.eclipse.org, which mentions you should use a platform pipeline file, but it is not visible, and not checked into the repo. So no dice here either. :(
Re: Reproduction of CI Build [message #1844541 is a reply to message #1844527] Thu, 16 September 2021 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
JGit has 2 builds, I recommend to use the Maven build. The bazel build is mainly used to build Gerrit Code Review which includes jgit as a submodule.
The contributor guide describes how to run the build: https://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/Contributor_Guide#JGit_2

The CI job depends on the infrastructure provided by Eclipse which runs Jenkins on Kubernetes so I am not sure that's a good fit to replicate this setup elsewhere.
We plan to move the pipeline definition to a separate repository like we did for EGit. Someone needs to find time to work on that.
Re: Reproduction of CI Build [message #1844542 is a reply to message #1844541] Thu, 16 September 2021 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My change series switching to Java 11 waits for reviewers and I don't want to self-approve them.
It seems the other committers are currently busy or not available.
If you have time and want help you may consider to review these changes.
Re: Reproduction of CI Build [message #1844580 is a reply to message #1844542] Thu, 16 September 2021 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks. If this speeds things up, I am happy to review you changes. Please note I am not an approved committer on JGit/EGit. I assume I would find review aim/standards in the same location as the build instructions?
Re: Reproduction of CI Build [message #1845057 is a reply to message #1844580] Tue, 05 October 2021 01:22 Go to previous message
the series switching to Java 11 has landed on the master branch
Previous Topic:performance improvement to get stats
Next Topic:Performing RevWalk on repo without downloading entire repo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:32:51 GMT 2024