Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to use edge instead of IE browser widget?(Internal browser seems to use IE rather than edge.)
How to use edge instead of IE browser widget? [message #1844394] Sun, 12 September 2021 20:39 Go to next message
Steve Vestal is currently offline Steve VestalFriend
I am using 2020-06 on Windows 10. When I open the internal browser view (WebBrowserView), it seems to be using the IE browser widget (when a popup asking to save or search is shown, a "search" opens an IE view). The documentation indicates it is possible to select from a subset of browsers that might be installed. I tried setting the Java system property -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType="edge" and that did not change this behavior. How do I configure this?

I also tried Window > Preferences > General > Web Browser and setting an external browser. Same result.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 September 2021 22:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to use edge instead of IE browser widget? [message #1844608 is a reply to message #1844394] Fri, 17 September 2021 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did find out that edge is only available on 2021-03 and later. The default is still IE for 2021-06. Setting the Windows Preference to edge with both internal and external radio buttons pushed does not change that. Setting the Java system property -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType="edge" resulted in an exception that the browser could not be created. What additional configuration is needed so the internal browser can find and use edge to render pages?
Re: How to use edge instead of IE browser widget? [message #1844637 is a reply to message #1844608] Sun, 19 September 2021 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
As far as I can tell, org.eclipse.swt.browser.Browser.checkStyle(int) does support that via this test:
				} else if (current.equalsIgnoreCase ("edge") && "win32".equals (platform)) { //$NON-NLS-1$ //$NON-NLS-2$
					DefaultType = SWT.EDGE;
It doesn't actually work for me either though. It does say it's experimental:
	/**
	 * Style constant specifying that a Browser should use Edge (WebView2)
	 * for rendering its content (value is 1<<18).
	 * <p>NOTE: Edge integration is experimental, it isn't a drop-in replacement
	 * for Internet Explorer.</p>
	 * <p><b>Used By:</b></p>
	 * <ul>
	 * <li><code>Browser</code></li>
	 * </ul>
	 * @since 3.116
	 */
	public static final int EDGE = 1 << 18;

It was implemented via this

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=538991

So you might ask there about the status.

For me it fails in org.eclipse.ui.internal.browser.BrowserViewer.BrowserViewer(Composite, int) with an error about "Not implemented [WebView2 runtime not found]"...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to use edge instead of IE browser widget? [message #1844641 is a reply to message #1844637] Sun, 19 September 2021 23:00 Go to previous message
That was the ticket (pun intended)! I installed the WebView2 runtime, set the above property, and the internal browser for 2021-07 in Windows 10 now uses edge for me. Also an interesting read about making the SWT browser robustly portable across platforms. Thanks!
Previous Topic:Donald Goodliffe
Next Topic:Editing .po and .pot files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:01:57 GMT 2024