Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse freezes whenever I try to edit a Java file.(Multiple Eclipse versions (including 2021-06))
Eclipse freezes whenever I try to edit a Java file. [message #1844238] Tue, 07 September 2021 02:29 Go to next message
Anonymous Anonymous is currently offline Anonymous AnonymousFriend
Hi,
For the past few days, I've been having a problem with Eclipse. Whenever I open anything with the Java editor, the entire IDE freezes, Eclipse uses 100% of a cpu core, and has to be force killed. I have tried letting it run like that for at least half an hour, and nothing changed. Everything else works, programs compile and run fine, I can edit some plain text files, view markdown files, etc. It's even possible to open java files in the "Generic Text Editor", but that's getting close to defeating the purpose of the IDE. It is possible to close the editor and Eclipse will work correctly again, but it takes about 5 minutes to respond.

At one point, probably a few years ago, I wasn't having this issue. I hadn't used Eclipse since then, so I have no idea when the issue really started.

I'm using Arch Linux, with kernel version 5.10.60-lts.

This has happened with multiple eclipse versions:
Eclipse 2020-09 (4.17, from Arch User Repository)
Eclipse 2021-06 (4.20, from Arch User Repository, "eclipse-java" and "eclipse-java-bin", both download binaries from the official website and just add a desktop icon, etc.)
Eclipse 2019-09 (4.13, from the official installer)

I have tried running Eclipse with these java versions:
Openjdk 11
Openjdk 16
Oracle Java 16
Openjdk 8 (Eclipse 2019-09)

I have tried updating and restarting my computer. Editing the .ini file to give Eclipse more memory doesn't help. I have tried creating a new workspace multiple times. Running with -debug doesn't output anything after Eclipse finishes starting up. There is nothing in my system's logs (dmesg and journalctl), but the .log file in the workspace does output some info. To me, this sounds like some dependency for the UI is broken/incorrect, but I have no idea where to go from there.

I attached the .log file from after a freeze on Eclipse 2021-06 with Oracle Java 16.

I'm happy to provide any other information/testing/logs if needed.

Thanks
  • Attachment: log
    (Size: 44.55KB, Downloaded 43 times)
Re: Eclipse freezes whenever I try to edit a Java file. [message #1844240 is a reply to message #1844238] Tue, 07 September 2021 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Was that Eclipse 2021-06 from the official installer or downloads, not from the Arch repository?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse freezes whenever I try to edit a Java file. [message #1844248 is a reply to message #1844240] Tue, 07 September 2021 06:13 Go to previous message
Anonymous Anonymous is currently offline Anonymous AnonymousFriend
No, but I just installed 2021-06 from the official installer, and here's the log from that after a freeze.
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 52.83KB, Downloaded 94 times)
Previous Topic:Running an Eclipse Application from within Ant
Next Topic:external sdk libary
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 15:25:58 GMT 2024