Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Running an Eclipse Application from within Ant(OSGI Eclipse Application Dispatch)
Running an Eclipse Application from within Ant [message #1844123] Thu, 02 September 2021 01:00 Go to next message
Jörn Guy Süß is currently offline Jörn Guy SüßFriend

There are a number of functionalities, especially in the model-driven area that use Eclipse Applications for dispatch.

Provided that an ant build is executed in the same JRE as the Eclipse instance, is there a recommended way to launch an application from within ant.

I guess I am looking for the Eclipse-internal equivalent of the Java execution task in ant.
Re: Running an Eclipse Application from within Ant [message #1844170 is a reply to message #1844123] Sat, 04 September 2021 06:30 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

While Ant support is technically available within Eclipse, I found that the very poor debugging experience particularly in regard to the 'taskpath' meant that just about any other approach was better. Personally I use MWE2 for all such 'scripting' since I can write MWE2 tasks and debug them pretty much just like direct Java.

This realisation discourages me and I suspect others from supporting, let alone improving, Ant access. I don't think I've actually removed any Ant tasks, but I always sigh whenever a releng breakage occurs and wonder whether it really is worth the non-trivial maintenance time in consideration to the close to zero usage. QVTo and EMF have Ant support that must be considered at risk. I strongly recommend that you reconsider your use of Ant.

Regards

Ed Willink

[Updated on: Sat, 04 September 2021 06:31]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Internal errors when running WildFly in Eclipse 2021-06
Next Topic:Eclipse freezes whenever I try to edit a Java file.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:32:44 GMT 2024