Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Eclipse photon and Eclipse oxygen compatibility in Mac BigSur(Is it possible to run Eclipse photon or Eclipse oxygen on Mac BigSur)
Eclipse photon and Eclipse oxygen compatibility in Mac BigSur [message #1844072] Tue, 31 August 2021 07:59 Go to next message
Tanmay Majumdar is currently offline Tanmay MajumdarFriend
Hi,
I used to develop RCP application's on Windows. But recently, I got a request to support Mac BigSur as well.

Main concern:

I'd like a confirmation on whether one can use Eclipse photon or oxygen on a BigSur for RCP using OpenJDK 11. If not, what would be next suitable eclipse version with highest backwards compatibility since the whole application has already been developed in Eclipse photon.

What have I already tried

Now, I have only tried running Eclipse on a high latency Mac VM (BigSur) from MacStadium and it was riddled with errors after I tried to import my code, eventually I failed to import the code . I'll be attaching the screenshot of the most frequent error. Apart from this, I have also been getting Null Pointer exceptions. Moreover, when I try to close and open Eclipse again, eclipse simply freezes.

There are some workarounds of this specific error on forums, but before that I'd like to know whether Eclipse Photon is even compatible with BigSur or not.
  • Attachment: error1.PNG
    (Size: 38.23KB, Downloaded 45 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2021 12:26]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse photon and Eclipse oxygen compatibility in Mac BigSur [message #1844105 is a reply to message #1844072] Wed, 01 September 2021 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tanmay Majumdar is currently offline Tanmay MajumdarFriend
Since I haven't received a reply yet, should I be posting this on some other section for better visibility?
Re: Eclipse photon and Eclipse oxygen compatibility in Mac BigSur [message #1849329 is a reply to message #1844105] Wed, 12 January 2022 21:52 Go to previous message
Wim Jongman is currently offline Wim JongmanFriend

No, it is not compatible. Download an Eclipse release that has been delivered AFTER the big sur release.
Previous Topic:Converting from RCP to RAP affect on target file
Next Topic:target file versus Artifactory/Maven
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:49:18 GMT 2024