Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Managed build - how to prevent full rebuild of upstream projects?
Managed build - how to prevent full rebuild of upstream projects? [message #1843615] Tue, 10 August 2021 20:08 Go to next message
Vladimir Grishchenko is currently offline Vladimir GrishchenkoFriend
I've seen this type of question asked but no good answers.

projectA - static library, exports include paths and symbols
projectB - executable, links with the .a from projectA, projectA is checked on the references Tab

Building projectB always triggers a full rebuild of projectA regardless of its change status with regards to its resulting .a file. Building projectA individually correctly detects if a rebuild is needed unless done immediately after projectA was built as a part of projectB build, in which cases it is fully rebuilt which is also strange. I'm using CDT managed build so the CDT should be in a position to correctly determine when rebuild is actually needed. This just doesn't make sense and hopefully I'm missing something obvious and there is a setting to prevent this behavior as rebuilding all dependencies each and every time is a non-starter. I understand I could avoid project references altogether, but now I need to remember to rebuild upstream projects by hand when needed plus each downstream project needs to be properly set up with all the symbols and include paths which is tedious and error-prone. I want to rely on the references mechanism but have upstream projects rebuild only when needed, is this too much to ask? I'm on Eclipse 2021-06 CDT 10.3.0.202106080120 if it makes any difference.
Re: Managed build - how to prevent full rebuild of upstream projects? [message #1843618 is a reply to message #1843615] Wed, 11 August 2021 01:16 Go to previous message
Vladimir Grishchenko is currently offline Vladimir GrishchenkoFriend
Turns out Bugzilla has multiple defects raised around this, oh well, hopefully this will be fixed one day.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 August 2021 01:16]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:"libstdc++-6.dll was not found" & "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was not found"
Next Topic:How can I turn on code suggestion automatically in c/c++ eclipse ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:52:16 GMT 2024