Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » hack project source location(point project source to new location)
hack project source location [message #1843562] Fri, 06 August 2021 10:30 Go to next message
Kent Dorfman is currently offline Kent DorfmanFriend
Read this BEFORE answering.

This question is about pointing an exisitng project to a new sourcecode location AFTER the source has already been moved.

NFS mount hell necessitated me relocating my git/project source directory away from my home directory so that my desktop would not freeze when the NFS server is bounced. Further complicated is that the project source never lived inside the eclipse workspace directory, but was imported from an external location.

I need clear and working info on how to point the existing project to the new location and see the files again. If this involves hacking the settings files then so be it.

This is in eclipse-2012
Re: hack project source location [message #1843567 is a reply to message #1843562] Sat, 07 August 2021 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
The easiest way would be to delete the project from the workspace then import it from the new location.

As for code in the workspace, I always use an external directory (external to the workspace).
Far from complicating things, doing this simplifies them.
I can have the same project in multiple workspaces.

If the project location frequently moves then consider using a project
where all of the contents are symlinks to the real location. Then you
won't have to deal with the deleting and importing but you will still have
to modify the links.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 August 2021 06:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: hack project source location [message #1843575 is a reply to message #1843567] Sat, 07 August 2021 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kent Dorfman is currently offline Kent DorfmanFriend
Appreciate the followup.

Large scale embedded Zynq/Arm embedded project that is an imported Makefile project so I have to maintain the ability to manage external to eclipse. In fact, I only use use the IDE for editing and cross-referencing symbol locations.

My concern about deleting and reimporting is losing some obscure project setting that it took me 3 days to find, six months ago, since eclipse is infamous for inconsistency of non-intuitive locations of features/settings: a consequence of community development of a plug-in architecture.

After consideration, I intend "sed" edit the path location in all the workspace .metadata files, and hope it doesnt invlaidate some settings file checksum. If that doesn't work then I will restore the .eclipse/ workpace/ from tarball and do what you suggest above.
Re: hack project source location [message #1843576 is a reply to message #1843575] Sat, 07 August 2021 18:08 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Project settings are normally kept in .settings in
same directory as .project

Setting within the workspace should still apply.
Previous Topic:Why do certain dot files keep disappearing?
Next Topic:"libstdc++-6.dll was not found" & "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll was not found"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:57:51 GMT 2024