Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Two DSLs or two-tier-build?
Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842936] Wed, 07 July 2021 06:58 Go to next message
Konrad Jünemann is currently offline Konrad JünemannFriend
Hi,

I want my users to specify business Entities in a DSL from which database Tables should then be generated, also represented by a DSL in order to allow users to also define Tables manually. These Tables should then compile to SQL files. The workflow is thus:

Entity -> Table(s) -> SQL(s)

I've done this before by implementing two (!) seperate but similar DSLs, the Entity DSL and the Table DSL. I also created a specific builder which touched all generated Table-DSL files, so that they are then build on the fly. However, having two DSLs complicates many things, as now I am required to write some common plugins that contain all the things that are similar between both DSLs.

My Question: Is it possible (and recommended) to use a single DSL for both entities and tables? The problem that I see is that .mydsl-files containing tables would have to be generated from other .mydsl-files (containing entities) and then would have to be parsed immediately. Is this possible or would I have to customize the builder?
Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842937 is a reply to message #1842936] Wed, 07 July 2021 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Since Entity and Table presumably have important differences, forcing them to be too similar could cause pain downstream.

Perhaps a better approach is to define a common AbstractTableEntity.xtext abstraction which entity and Table can extend/override to express differences. (NB AbstractTableEntity.xtext is not a third DSL; it will be flattened into Entity/Table by Xtext.)

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842938 is a reply to message #1842937] Wed, 07 July 2021 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
you may also check IDerivedStateComputer instead if phyically generating files and touching them

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842939 is a reply to message #1842937] Wed, 07 July 2021 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

well, they are similar regarding how imports, "java-docs" and "annotations" are handled (both DSLs share those concepts). They furthermore share many similarities regarding their UI (handling of hover, ...) and many things behind the scenes, e.g, caching. So yeah, the grammars are different, but their metamodels share a common abstract metamodel, also much code is shared.

(should note: I usually define the metamodel myself instead of letting it be generated. So both DSL's metamodels use a common-MM, which defines shared stuff.)

Still my question remains: is it possible to generate .mydsl-files from another .mydsl-file in such a way that the generated .mydsl file will be parsed instantly?
Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842941 is a reply to message #1842939] Wed, 07 July 2021 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no eclipse builders wont see what they generate themselves

Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842942 is a reply to message #1842941] Wed, 07 July 2021 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Christian. Does that mean I should write two DSLs, in your opinion, as I have done before? Or would you recommend to modify the builder / other Xtext components in order to being able to just use one DSL?
Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842944 is a reply to message #1842942] Wed, 07 July 2021 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one dsl + derived statecomputer

Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1842946 is a reply to message #1842944] Wed, 07 July 2021 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great, thanks a lot! That was the advice I was looking for. :-)
Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1843332 is a reply to message #1842946] Fri, 23 July 2021 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I finally got to look into this some more. First good news: there seems to be indeed no reason to use two DSLs. I made it work with just one, although I am currently still "touching" the freshly generated mydsl files in order to trigger another run of the builder.

Then I looked into IDerivedStatecomputer as Christian proposed. I looked into Christian's cast and into Lorenzo's book.

If I understand the DerivedStateAwareResource correctly the state is updated just when the resource itself is updated - so the state must not contain any information from beyond the resource itself, so no information stored in linked EObjects may be used. This makes the IDerivedStatecomputer unfeasible for my needs, if I understood it correctly, as in my case Entities may refer to each other and this linked information might be needed when generating the tables.

Also I would like the use to be able to create Tables manually, which should then of course also generate to correct SQLs.

Let me try to explain a bit: business entities reference each other. Also, there is a n to m relationship between entities and their generated tables: for some entities multiple tables have to be generated and for some tables multiple entities have to be accessed in order to generate them.

In order to be able to compile all that stuff incrementally, I form "buckets" of entities (according to some rules) which should compile together. I extended the IGenerator interface following one of Karsten's (? I think) blog posts, so that the generator is just called once for each bucket.

When looking at the following example, entities A and B are part of the same bucket, while entity C has its own bucket. From bucket one, tables T1 and T2 shoudl be generated, while T3 to T5 are generated from entity C. T6 is manually defined. (In reality its even a bit more complicated, as entities might belong to multiple buckets at the same time.)
€: Forgot to say: Each entity resides in its own file / resource.
___  ___  ___
|A|  |B|  |C|
___  ___  ___

|______|   |________    manually defined:
   |               |              |
T1 - T2      T3 - T4 - T5         T6
 |    |       |    |    |         |
SQL  SQL     SQL  SQL  SQL       SQL

Now, how would I store the derived tables in the DerivedStateAwareResource? If I put, say, T1 in A's resource, it would not be refreshed when B changes. Did I misunderstand you?

I think I will just try to make my generator work in two phases:
1. Generate all tables for the bucket
2. Pass those buckets straight to a second Generator that derives SQLs for them. This second Generator can also be called for manually generated Tables.
3. (optional): serialize the generated tables to the disk, but without triggering the builder again. This could be usefull if the user wants to inspect the tables himself, spectate them in outline view etc.

I think this approach should work nicely? Let me know if you think this is complete rubbish.

;-)

[Updated on: Fri, 23 July 2021 15:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1843333 is a reply to message #1843332] Fri, 23 July 2021 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derivedstatecomputer is not for n:1 gen

Re: Two DSLs or two-tier-build? [message #1843335 is a reply to message #1843333] Fri, 23 July 2021 18:25 Go to previous message
Thanks! I thought so.
Previous Topic:Umsetzung von Xtend-Funktionen basierend auf einem UML-Klassendiagramm
Next Topic:Run the generated unit tests from the dsl test programmatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:43:25 GMT 2024