Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Plugin Product Takes 10 minutes to start
Plugin Product Takes 10 minutes to start [message #1842615] Fri, 25 June 2021 14:45 Go to next message
Bob Flannigon is currently offline Bob FlannigonFriend
Hi,

We have created a product based on multiple plugins. We recently upgraded the Eclipse version it runs on from 4.6.3 to 4.19.
When running this product, sometimes (seems to relate to starting that particular build of the product first-time) it can take several minutes (10 or more) before the workspace prompt is even shown.

I've been unable to pipe the osgi console output to a file because it opens its own window for the console (if anyone knows how to do that please let me know) but I have captured some of the output and it seems to be looping round in the configuration area:

The OSGI console seems to loop:

Restoring artifact repository file:/C:/<hidden_path>/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/1329/data/631451066
Validating and loading metadata repository file:/<hidden_path>/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/1329/data/631451066/

Then goes off and does this (whatever that is) for all plugins in the product (inc/ framework plugins) (several thousand lines written to the console here)
parseHeader: com.fasterxml.jackson.annotation;version=2.11.1
parseHeader: com.fasterxml.jackson.core.jackson-annotations

before going back to Restoring another, different, repository file. Rinse and repeat.

It does eventually show the workspace prompt, though I couldn't capture the exact point that it broke itself free, presumably it ran out of artifact repositories to restore and then got around to showing the workspace prompt.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on here??? (It's not going to be an option for our customers just to delete that configuration area before upgrading their version).

Thanks in advance
Re: Plugin Product Takes 10 minutes to start [message #1842621 is a reply to message #1842615] Fri, 25 June 2021 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I've created very installations and they do take some time to start:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=483982

But not 10 minutes. The first time a product is started, OSGi needs to "wire" all the package dependencies between the bundles and it keeps these in a cache so that it doesn't need to compute that again on each restart. It also knows when there have been updates and needs to update the wiring. It used to do that incrementally but I think now it computes a full new rewiring (because the incremental algorithm could lead to inconsistent wirings that are different from a full rewiring). As such, the first start (or restart after an update) can take much longer than any subsequent start. But 10 minutes seems pathological to me. Perhaps there's some ill behaved plugins that are eagerly doing a lot of work...

A profiler would be needed to really find out much about this. But maybe there are tracing options that I don't know about that might be helpful...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Plugin Product Takes 10 minutes to start [message #1842665 is a reply to message #1842621] Mon, 28 June 2021 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
To prevent the extra console to open, try launching with 'eclipsec.exe.' instead of 'eclipse.exe'.

For some of the trace options Ed mentioned, have a look at this tutorial. Probably there are more options which you could explore in the launch configuration.

Also creating stack dumps and tracing will give you insights in which plugin is taking up all the time.
Re: Plugin Product Takes 10 minutes to start [message #1843235 is a reply to message #1842665] Wed, 21 July 2021 06:57 Go to previous message
Bob Flannigon is currently offline Bob FlannigonFriend
Thanks for your comments, gents. I wasn't able to get to the bottom of this, though I did manage to get OSGi to output debug to a log file, eventually. It was reading through content.xml files, reading headers of stuff in it and then moving on to another content file, and there were hundreds of these p2-style folders and it just took ages. What was most odd is that it only did it on certain machines, mine not being one of them even with a clone of the offending configuration area.
In the end I've just had to effectively wipeout the configuration folder. Not the best outcome but it'll work.
Previous Topic:Issue with libs of org.eclipse.jface. in Linux Platform
Next Topic:Unable to create the selected preference page.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:57:09 GMT 2024