Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Errors starting out(Created a new Dynamic Web Project using Java EE Perspective and some errors)
Errors starting out [message #1841629] Mon, 24 May 2021 01:25 Go to next message
Paul Kagan is currently offline Paul KaganFriend
I started a Dynamic Web Project using Java EE Perspective. I get the following errors, please see image attached.
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841630 is a reply to message #1841629] Mon, 24 May 2021 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You've collapsed all of the type categories in the Problems view, hiding the actual error descriptions. For one, though, it looks like your project doesn't
have a JRE on its Java Build Path.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841631 is a reply to message #1841630] Mon, 24 May 2021 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you, I was able to fix one of the errors in the original xml by adding tomcat to the build path but I still have the following errors showed in the screen shot.
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841675 is a reply to message #1841631] Tue, 25 May 2021 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Again, the contents of your Problems view are collapsed, so there's no way to read the messages in there. Those messages are there to help you fix problems
before you launch the Tomcat server, and indicate reasons why things would misbehave if you launched the server anyway. This is going to be a very long
and slow to progress thread if you keep ignoring them.

The dialog you are showing shows that you don't have a Java 16 JRE correctly set up in your Installed JREs preference page. Go do that first. Then open the
project's Properties dialog (select the project and either right-click or use the Project menu in the menu bar), go to the Project Facets page,
and make sure the version of the Java facet matches a version from the Installed JREs preference page that you want to use, whether it's 16 or not.

Also, the contents of the WEB-INF folder are not directly retrievable by a web client. You'd store secure properties and configuration data in there. The web.xml
is not a valid file for testing the app from a client.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841730 is a reply to message #1841675] Thu, 27 May 2021 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok , thank you for your response.

As far as the Web-inf this is the default from Eclipse, it is supposed to work and compile. It is marked as the Deploy Path.

I still have 4 errors and not sure how to address them. I added JRE 16 to the build path. I find it frustrating since I recently installed Java 8 and not clear why Java 8 is necessary and Java 16 but I also reinstalled Eclipse after since it threw an exception. One is perhaps the runtime environment and the other is the development kit?

I took a bunch of screen shots.

so hopefully this can help you be able to give me an indication of how to get started...
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841731 is a reply to message #1841730] Thu, 27 May 2021 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Java compiler does not match the version of the installed Java project facet.
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841759 is a reply to message #1841731] Thu, 27 May 2021 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the eclipse out of date? like as if I am using Wordpress to make a website but upgrade to php 8.0? is it something like that?

are people still using the Dynamic Web Project?
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841764 is a reply to message #1841759] Fri, 28 May 2021 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'm unclear on what lead you to the conclusion that Java 8 was necessary, but installing a Java runtime onto your machine doesn't
automatically tell Eclipse about it. You need to add them on the Installed JREs preference page. Your project can refer to almost
any runtime version in the abstract, but Eclipse won't know any concrete class libraries to build against until you put what's needed onto
the Installed JREs preference page. The version of Java that's included in many downloads is sufficient to run Eclipse, but it
might not be enough to actually develop Java things against. And if you're developing in Java, always use a JDK.

For the first image, it's a matter of "jaxrs" being flagged by the Spell Checking. You can use Ctrl+1 with the cursor
in the word to remedy that message, or pursue other options through the Spelling preference page.

For the second image, I'm guessing it's the same as https://github.com/eclipse/lemminx/issues/1042 (LemminX being a Language
Server). The Dynamic Web Project is still the project type to use for Java-based web apps, and it doesn't tend to start you out with
a web.xml file that wouldn't pass basic XML validation.

The third image shows the message "Java compiler does not match the version of the installed Java project facet" , related to the
Project Facets property page shown elsewhere in the Properties dialog. The Facets indicate what features your project contains
and helps make sure you are deploying to a runtime that can support all of that. As I understand it (which could be wrong), changing
the Java facet version sets the project to try and build against that version of the JRE (pulled from what's in your Installed JREs
preference page) as well as sets the Compiler settings for the project to use that version of the language. I've not been the biggest
fan of tying these together, for multiple reasons of late, but the message is telling you that the value on the Project Facets property
page isn't the value set on your compiler settings. You can reconcile the discrepancy using either the Project Facets or Java
Compiler property page in the dialog you're showing.

I'm not sure what the fourth image is supposed to show, but I did change up the default paths in 2021-03 to make it easier to migrate
the project to use headless build systems later on. If you want the previous values, you just need to fill them in in the wizard that
creates the project. The new values aren't wrong, they're just different from the old values.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841839 is a reply to message #1841764] Tue, 01 June 2021 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you,

The reason I installed Java 8 JRE is because I realized I had a JDK installed but not necessarily a Java runtime edition and you said the following "The dialog you are showing shows that you don't have a Java 16 JRE correctly set up in your Installed JREs preference page. Go do that first. Then open the"

I seem to have figured something out with your help. thanks... do I need Java 8 JRE for anything?

there is a minor issue with build path but I will see if I can resolve it.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2021 03:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Errors starting out [message #1841868 is a reply to message #1841839] Tue, 01 June 2021 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841869 is a reply to message #1841868] Tue, 01 June 2021 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got rid of the errors but I still don't have the Tomcat at the source target... should I create a new case? basically I want that Tomcat executes the index.jsp to start this off...
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841870 is a reply to message #1841869] Tue, 01 June 2021 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

As I said before, the contents of the WEB-INF folder are not directly retrievable by a web client. That includes a WEB-INF/index.jsp. Move it outside of WEB-INF.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841914 is a reply to message #1841870] Thu, 03 June 2021 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's so hard I still haven't figured it out and new errors...
Re: Errors starting out [message #1841930 is a reply to message #1841914] Thu, 03 June 2021 17:36 Go to previous message
worked
Previous Topic:Error after launch workspace
Next Topic:unable to uninstall Eclipse Java 2021-03 Windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:24:42 GMT 2024