Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » [Feature request] Remember password for GPG key when signing git commits (linux)(Store password in the keyring or use system's keyring)
[Feature request] Remember password for GPG key when signing git commits (linux) [message #1841439] Mon, 17 May 2021 06:26 Go to next message
Vít Rozkovec is currently offline Vít RozkovecFriend
Hi,
my system is setup to sign commits with password protected GPG key.

Anytime I create new commit, Eclipse asks me to fill-in the password, which is, I must say, pretty annoying. I'm using strong password and typing it every time makes me want to turn off signing of git commits from Eclipse.

Interestingly when committing from the command line or other ides (Atom for example), password is taken from system's keyring and no password prompt is shown.

I've tried to edit gpg-agent.conf:
$: cat ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf 
default-cache-ttl 3600

But that does not help.

Can you tell me, please, if there is some way to tell Eclipse to cache the password or ask the system to provide it?

Thank you very much.

Regards
Vit

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2021 06:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Feature request] Remember password for GPG key when signing git commits (linux) [message #1841442 is a reply to message #1841439] Mon, 17 May 2021 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Using the default built-in GPG support which uses Java libraries (BouncyCastle), this is not implemented. See bug 543437.

With EGit 5.11 and newer, you can also choose in the main git preferences in Eclipse to use the GPG executable installed on your system instead. See New & Noteworthy. In that case, all key and passphrase handling is done by GPG, not be EGit. So if your GPG installation uses the system's keyring, this option might give you what you want.
Re: [Feature request] Remember password for GPG key when signing git commits (linux) [message #1841474 is a reply to message #1841442] Tue, 18 May 2021 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vít Rozkovec is currently offline Vít RozkovecFriend
Thomas Wolf wrote on Mon, 17 May 2021 07:11
Using the default built-in GPG support which uses Java libraries (BouncyCastle), this is not implemented. See bug 543437.

With EGit 5.11 and newer, you can also choose in the main git preferences in Eclipse to use the GPG executable installed on your system instead. See New & Noteworthy. In that case, all key and passphrase handling is done by GPG, not be EGit. So if your GPG installation uses the system's keyring, this option might give you what you want.

Awesome, I've completely missed that option.
Thank you very much, password pop up does not show any more and my commits are still signed.

Perfect!
Re: [Feature request] Remember password for GPG key when signing git commits (linux) [message #1841484 is a reply to message #1841474] Tue, 18 May 2021 17:48 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Glad you like it! Enjoy!
Previous Topic:Problem checking out large files with JGIT LFS BuiltinLFS
Next Topic:Context menu on repository is missing entries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:30:41 GMT 2024