Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Help configuring AVRDude port on Ubuntu virtual machine(Help request for first time configuration)
Help configuring AVRDude port on Ubuntu virtual machine [message #1840836] Mon, 26 April 2021 12:26 Go to next message
Peter Charles-Jones is currently offline Peter Charles-JonesFriend
I am migrating from Arduino IDE but am struggling to set up Eclipse as my IDE for AVR programming.

Environment:
Windows 10 Home 64bit

Virtualbox 6.1.20 with Extension pack (for USB2.0 support and shared clipboard)

Ubuntu 20.04.2LTS (one of the supported platforms)

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers (includes Incubating components)
Version: 2021-03 (4.19.0)
Build id: 20210312-0638

AVR plugin installed

avrdude version 6.3-20171130

Details:

This post is a follow on from a post describing a fatal error trying to launch avrdude from an instance of Eclipse installed on a Windows 10 PC

My response to this was to set up an Ubuntu guest vm on Virtualbox.

I have overcome my compiler problem I had on the Windows build (I can actually compile my 'Blinky' source!) but I'm stuck with the mechanics of hooking up my ISP (I'm only using an Arduino just to prove I can talk to one while I wait for my USB ISP USBasp AVR Programmer).

When I plug my Arduino into a USB port on my Windows machine and drive it from Arduino IDE, it claims it's COM3. The Device Manager | Ports | Arduino Uno (COM3) | Port Settings | Advanced has the COM port number as COM3. The port is defined as Port_#0005.Hub_#0003

Setting up USB support for the Ubuntu guest machine, with the Virtualbox extension installed, I can mount the USB device and see it described as Arduino (web address) Uno R3 (CDC ACM)[00001]

I'm struggling to figure how to get the AVT programmer to use this USB device.

I did a lsusb to see what usb devices I had:

peter@peter-VirtualBox:~/Desktop$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2341:0043 Arduino SA Uno R3 (CDC ACM) <<<< my device
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I tried many different options (in brackets) for the -P parameter exposed in Eclipse for the avrdude utility but with each on I get an error. (/dev/ttySn n from 0 to 3) (/dev/ttyUSBn n from 0 to 3) (COMn n from 0 to 3)

'avrduge: ser_open():can't open device "XXX" No such file or directory.'

Please could you explain in simple steps (I am new to Linux) what I have to do to get Eclipse running in its Ubuntu guest virtual machine to talk to the ISP connected to the COM port of my Windows PC host (which has no COM or parallel ports).

Best regards
Re: Help configuring AVRDude port on Ubuntu virtual machine [message #1840941 is a reply to message #1840836] Thu, 29 April 2021 10:04 Go to previous message
Peter Charles-Jones is currently offline Peter Charles-JonesFriend
I also tried /dev/ttyACM0 as the port for AVRDude.
I put myself in the dialout group. so I can use serial ports.
Using Virtualbox Extensions, I can mount the USB device from within Umbuntu guest machine.

I still can't connect to the programmer.

Previous Topic:Error signing in ABAP project on Eclipse
Next Topic:Forum guidance?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:02:25 GMT 2024