Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » Textual syntax for UML state machines
Textual syntax for UML state machines [message #1840553] Mon, 19 April 2021 09:51 Go to next message
John Henbergs is currently offline John HenbergsFriend
Hi all,

I will very soon start writing a textual syntax for UML state machines, but before that I would like to better understand what has been done already. I am conducting a search online to find papers that discuss textual syntax for state machines, but haven't been able to find many, so I was wondering if anyone has come across this and can help me with some paper suggestions.

Thanks!
Re: Textual syntax for UML state machines [message #1840559 is a reply to message #1840553] Mon, 19 April 2021 11:35 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Have a look at TextUML and at HUTN.

While in some areas, the compromise between textual and graphical notations can be quite subjective and content-dependent, state machines are an area where the visual seems rightly dominant. You need to ensure that your textual syntax is rigorously 1:1 so that i may be useful for archiving / code management, and simple so that on those rare occasions when a state machine is very one-dimensional the better textual representation really is better.

Note that the absence of State Machine support in Java is an indication of how hard a textual representation may be.

Regards

Ed Willink
Previous Topic:UML RT metamodel
Next Topic:How to get applied stereotypes of stereotypes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:52:46 GMT 2024