Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » The jar file /usr/share/apache-tomcat-8.5.63/lib/catalina.jar has no source attachement(Eclipse is looking for a source file that is not to be debugged - how to config eclipse to ignore a jar file?)
The jar file /usr/share/apache-tomcat-8.5.63/lib/catalina.jar has no source attachement [message #1839551] Tue, 23 March 2021 19:25 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
I'm working on a set of website source code and I am using Eclipse jee for debugging.

In my attempts to debug some of the java source code, I am getting a pop-up window with a tab name of:

org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain

and a partial view of the page is:

Quote:
Class File Editor

Source Not Found

You can attach the source by clicking Attach Source below:

Attach Source <--- This is a button

below this line is a large amount of information which I am guessing was
extracted from catalina.jar file.

I have looked on the internet for this issue and found some references which I have looked at quickly, but so far I have not learned anything that will help me through it.

I have a few questions:

1) Is there a way to tell eclipse to ignore trying to debug selected jar and class files?

2) Isn't it self evident that if the source is not included, the source java code is not being debugged. I could understand a warning from the debugger that a jar or class file is being ignored because no source is attached, but I see no reason to stop the debugging process and post this page.

3) When this window pops up, why is there not a 2nd button that says: "Ignore this (jar/class) file?"

I would appreciate comments to my questions and I'm hoping there is an easy way to configure Eclipse to work around this problem.

Jim A
Re: The jar file /usr/share/apache-tomcat-8.5.63/lib/catalina.jar has no source attachement [message #1839554 is a reply to message #1839551] Tue, 23 March 2021 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Im my experience this only occurs when you stop in a class file that has no source. It is not a popup that stops the debugging, just a 'code view' that explains its deficiencies and how to remedy it. In some cases such as newInstance() you can just step through to some better code. In other cases step return , or run to a better breakpoint. Better still find the sources so that you can actually see what is happening. As an Open Source project I'm sure that there is a Tomcat source distribution.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: The jar file /usr/share/apache-tomcat-8.5.63/lib/catalina.jar has no source attachement [message #1839556 is a reply to message #1839554] Tue, 23 March 2021 20:21 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You should be able to use Step Filtering.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Error: Could not find or load main class Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
Next Topic:The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover c
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:09:15 GMT 2024