Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Why does everyone hate Eclipse?
Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1839286] Thu, 18 March 2021 17:40 Go to next message
rohit singh is currently offline rohit singhFriend
As a part of a school project, I am looking into the public perception that people see Eclipse as "slow, buggy and unstable". Most people I talk with who are Java developers says that Eclipse would be the last tool they would use and people who would use it has "no respect for their code". If it really is that bad, why doesn't the Eclipse community recognize these issues and do something about it?

One theory I have is that the hate between IDEs is much like what tools you are used to work with. I hated Windows 8 in the beginning when I started using it, but I got used to it and now I would prefer using Windows 8 above Windows 7. Developers often think the way they they are used to do things is often "the only correct and right way" to do something and changing a developers habit is normally incredibly hard.
https://sarkarijobs.gen.in/

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2021 20:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1839745 is a reply to message #1839286] Sat, 27 March 2021 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atosh Dustosh is currently offline Atosh DustoshFriend
I don't know. But I like the visual styles of eclipse. Perhaps it's just a coincident that many people around you don't use eclipse.

I mainly use C in my projects, but have also learned using java and c++ in college. And I have tried Visual Code and IntelliJ.
The only thing I feel bad about eclipse is perhaps its plugins market. Every time I install something, the whole IDE just freezes. But other than that, everything seems fine to me :)
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1839817 is a reply to message #1839286] Mon, 29 March 2021 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Vi is currently offline Jan ViFriend
Probably you got any answer to your question in this forum:
http://web.archive.org/web/20160623104858/http://www.ihateeclipse.com/
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1839956 is a reply to message #1839817] Fri, 02 April 2021 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt Payne is currently offline Matt PayneFriend
I absolutely love it and prefer it over JetBrains products. I think debugging is much clearer and easier to follow especially in c++.

Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1839989 is a reply to message #1839956] Sat, 03 April 2021 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Belinda Dean is currently offline Belinda DeanFriend
I always liked the visual styles of eclipses. Perhaps it is just a coincidence that many people also choose the same option.
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1840564 is a reply to message #1839286] Mon, 19 April 2021 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Balažic is currently offline David BalažicFriend
rohit singh wrote on Thu, 18 March 2021 13:40
As a part of a school project, I am looking into the public perception that people see Eclipse as "slow, buggy and unstable".

Eclipse _is_ slow, buggy and unstable.
It is a good IDE tool, but is is also slow, buggy and unstable.
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1840565 is a reply to message #1839817] Mon, 19 April 2021 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Balažic is currently offline David BalažicFriend
Jan Vi wrote on Mon, 29 March 2021 08:38
Probably you got any answer to your question in this forum:
http://web.archive.org/web/20160623104858/http://www.ihateeclipse.com/

LOL, nice. Had a good laugh, thanks!
Most of that is still true.
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1862223 is a reply to message #1839286] Sat, 18 November 2023 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brown III is currently offline Robert Brown IIIFriend
I wouldn't say that "everyone" hates Eclipse. I personally love Eclipse. There are, however, a lot of people who prefer other IDEs.

Some of the reasons for this are justified. For example, the code assist in Eclipse is inferior to the code assists offered in IDEs like IntelliJ. Another problem in Eclipse occurs in its importing of Spring Boot projects from a Git repository: when attempting to have Eclipse open an existing Spring Boot project after getting it from the repo, Eclipse does not find it. In order to actually get the project, you have to cancel the import and do another maven import of the downloaded project. No other IDE has this problem.

Actually, speaking of git, Eclipse's integration with Gitlab is also poor. I just discovered that its project explorer does not "see" the .gitlab-ci.yml file! In previous versions, Eclipse had a file explorer that allowed you to see files and folders that weren't visible in the Project Explorer. That explorer was deprecated and removed in the latest versions. Unfortunately, because the Project Explorer doesn't see the .github-ci.yml file, if you want to make changes in Gitlab pipelines you have to edit the file outside of Eclipse. Equally unfortunately, because the project explorer does not see the file, attempting to commit and push changes to it does not work. This means that the only way to edit the pipeline is to go onto Gitlab and edit it there. Again: other IDEs actually allow easy access and editing of this file.

I have used Eclipse for my private projects for several years now, but these and other inadequacies in the IDE are starting to chafe. I am looking for a place to report the bugs I am seeing, but haven't found it yet. If I don't, or if the bugs aren't fixed, then I will likely have to switch to another IDE -- most likely Visual Studio Code or IntelliJ. I would do this not out of hatred for Eclipse, but because it will be inadequate for the work I am doing.

I love Eclipse, but I understand why some people would hate it.
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1862228 is a reply to message #1862223] Sun, 19 November 2023 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you want to see "hidden" files (.* files), use the hamburg view menu control to bring up Filters... and uncheck " .* resources".

Of course there are many projects and each has it's own place to report bugs. If you think there is a bug in the platform itself, you could report it here:

https://github.com/eclipse-platform/.github/issues

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Why does everyone hate Eclipse? [message #1862234 is a reply to message #1862228] Mon, 20 November 2023 03:32 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Maybe hiding those by default is doing more harm than good, now.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:PHP Remote Project - Sync Error
Next Topic:Error during installation ABAP Development Tools + Modeling Tools
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:03:29 GMT 2024