Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF » [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file?
[CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1839230] Thu, 18 March 2021 01:39 Go to next message
Warwick Burrows is currently offline Warwick BurrowsFriend
I have a client application that embeds the CDO client and I'd like to be able to configure the platform debug trace using the .options file in the same way that the server can be. However I don't know where to put the .options file to have the client automatically pick it up. There's no eclipse install directory for my client. Is there a property that I can set in the environment or in the platform to specify the path to the .options file instead of the default ?
Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1839240 is a reply to message #1839230] Thu, 18 March 2021 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
Interesting question. I noticed I was under the wrong impression that the .options files within the bundles are used by OSGi at runtime. But after a bit of digging and debugging it appears that they're merely development-time artifacts which are used by PDE to generate a global .options file right before the program is actually started. As a consequence our LegacyBundle/LegacyPlatform do not simulate OSGi's behavior in this area. More concretely, if you launch your program stand-alone you have no way to specify the debug options through a global .options file. I have a prototype in my workspace to fix this issue and better align the behavior with OSGi. Please submit a bugzilla.

As a work-around, you can programmatically set all debug options even in stand-alone mode.

Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1839280 is a reply to message #1839240] Thu, 18 March 2021 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok then I will try as you say and load my own trace options manually.
Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1839300 is a reply to message #1839280] Fri, 19 March 2021 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. Can you please submit a bugzilla for the global .options file in stand-alone mode?

Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1839375 is a reply to message #1839300] Fri, 19 March 2021 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was able to get it working finally. Its not the right way but it works. . I've also added a WatchService to monitor the options file so that any changes are picked up immediately. The options file path is configured through a system property. To make it the most flexible I've set the "debug" system property to always be true and then control the level of trace in the options file. Then I don't have to restart the app in order to enable debug trace. I'll open a bugzilla as you suggested.
Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1839378 is a reply to message #1839375] Fri, 19 March 2021 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Created https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=572117 for this enhancement request. Let me know if I need to add anything else.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 March 2021 15:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1840680 is a reply to message #1839378] Thu, 22 April 2021 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've resolved your enhancement request. It would be great if you could eventually let me know how it works for you ;-)

Re: [CDO] CDO client app - can I specify where to get the .options file? [message #1840725 is a reply to message #1840680] Thu, 22 April 2021 15:03 Go to previous message
Thanks Eike, I'll let you know.
Previous Topic:Enforce unique IDs (also for deep copies)
Next Topic:create a model instance from a metamodel in EMF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:55:04 GMT 2024