Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Fairly new to Eclipse. How do I run code that is stored in a docker?(Debug code that is only on a docker)
Fairly new to Eclipse. How do I run code that is stored in a docker? [message #1839038] Thu, 11 March 2021 16:18 Go to next message
Dylan Abrahamsen is currently offline Dylan AbrahamsenFriend
Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to eclipse and I've been trying to figure my issue out for some time (reading online instructions, videos, etc.), but haven't been able to resolve it. The issue is that there is some C++ code I need to debug, but it is only stored in a docker container. The container is running centOS 6.9 and needs to stay that way since I've been told the code will not function otherwise (it was written starting in the 80's). I have the image and can create a container and run the code via the terminal with the C++ exectuable (with some commands to pass). I can debug using gdb, but there are things gbd can't display correctly and the code is massive.

The first thing I tried has to install eclipse on the container, but centOS 6.9 would need a legacy Eclipse I believe. The next thing was to use the Docker Tooling. I can see the container in Eclipse this way. Every tutorial I see seems to try and solve running local files on the container, but I need to debug the files that only exist on the container.

Right now I'm using RSE to remote into the docker via the IP address and can see the source code, but can't figure out how to debug from here either. Again, everything I've read seems to pass local files to the remote host.

I would really appreciate a step-by-step guide on anyway to debug code that is only present on the docker. Thank you!

Re: Fairly new to Eclipse. How do I run code that is stored in a docker? [message #1839198 is a reply to message #1839038] Wed, 17 March 2021 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Probably more people with experience related to this question will be on the CDT forum:

https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=80

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Fairly new to Eclipse. How do I run code that is stored in a docker? [message #1839220 is a reply to message #1839198] Wed, 17 March 2021 17:14 Go to previous message
Dylan Abrahamsen is currently offline Dylan AbrahamsenFriend
Thanks! I'll post my question over there.
Previous Topic:Start external Tools
Next Topic:Eclipse crashes on any git operation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:02:38 GMT 2024