Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Applying personal access tokens(How do you apply personal access tokens via Eclipse)
Applying personal access tokens [message #1838624] Tue, 02 March 2021 16:07 Go to next message
Terry Bauer is currently offline Terry BauerFriend
I have been using Eclipse for about two years paired with GitHub. We are using HTTPS with user_name / password combination. These user names and passwords have been stored somewhere (not familiar with all of the inner workings) at some point. I am never prompted for a user name/ password combination when pushing to or pulling from the GitHub repository.

I have been getting the warning notices from GitHub that the user name/password combination will not be honored after August 2021 and that I must be using a Personal Access Token for HTTPS after that date.

Ok, I have the Personal Access Token, but how does one apply it globally to already existing repositories for which I am not prompted for a password. In fact, I am not even prompted for a password from any newly created repositories either (however, they are created through GitHub Desktop).

I've got the PAT, but I don't know how to apply it within Eclipse/Egit. Would appreciate some guidance there.

Thank you.
Re: Applying personal access tokens [message #1838629 is a reply to message #1838624] Tue, 02 March 2021 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
EGit has no workflow for changing a valid password since the precise use case that there might be several valid passwords (the account password and the PAT) and you want to exchange one for the other in the Eclipse secure storage was simply not considered.

EGit will prompt again once the currently stored password (the account password) doesn't work anymore. Then you could enter the PAT as new password.

If you want to replace the password now, I'd propose the following (haven't tried it myself, though; I use ssh for github):

• Open Preferences->Security->Secure Storage
  • Go to the "Contents" tab
  • In the tree on the left, navigate to GIT
  • Delete the entry for github (probably https:\2f\2fgithub.com:443)
  • Click "Apply".

EGit should ask again for the username/password, and you could enter the username and the PAT.
Re: Applying personal access tokens [message #1838632 is a reply to message #1838629] Tue, 02 March 2021 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
we have a "Change Credentials" menu in the repositories view, open the node of the respective repository,
navigate to the urls shown under the remote (most often this is named "origin") and click "Change Credentials...".

https://imgur.com/a/3zAd7Kk
Re: Applying personal access tokens [message #1838644 is a reply to message #1838629] Tue, 02 March 2021 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Terry Bauer is currently offline Terry BauerFriend
Thomas Wolf, your proposed process for replacing the password worked perfectly! Thank you so much!
Re: Applying personal access tokens [message #1838661 is a reply to message #1838632] Wed, 03 March 2021 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Matthias Sohn wrote on Tue, 02 March 2021 17:38
we have a "Change Credentials" menu in the repositories view, open the node of the respective repository,
navigate to the urls shown under the remote (most often this is named "origin") and click "Change Credentials...".

I stand corrected. Indeed it's there. That I missed this after all this time...
Re: Applying personal access tokens [message #1839072 is a reply to message #1838661] Fri, 12 March 2021 13:12 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
too many menus
Previous Topic:cloning a repo with git-lfs support generates NumberFormatException: For input string: "t"
Next Topic:Pre-Fill Commit Message
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:26:28 GMT 2024