Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext
Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext [message #1838464] Thu, 25 February 2021 14:03 Go to next message
John Henbergs is currently offline John HenbergsFriend
Hi all,

I am trying to integrate Xtext with GMF, in order to provide both textual and graphical editors, as a way to interact with the model (not only views of the model).

From what I have read so far, being that they both use EMF, there is some out-of-the-box integration that can be implemented for Xtext and GMF, but the synchronisation will happen upon saving the changes.

Has any of you worked or researched about ways on synchronizing these two editors in real-time (on-the-fly) and not on demand? What would it require?

Would really appreciate your feedback.

Thank you,
John
Re: Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext [message #1838468 is a reply to message #1838464] Thu, 25 February 2021 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamas Miklossy is currently offline Tamas MiklossyFriend
Hello John,

The "TMF meets GMF" publication and slideshare may serve a good starting point for you.

Hope that helps,
Tamás

[Updated on: Thu, 25 February 2021 14:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext [message #1838469 is a reply to message #1838468] Thu, 25 February 2021 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Traditionally it is the EditingDomain (and its derived classes) that allow multiple views to co-exist.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext [message #1838470 is a reply to message #1838468] Thu, 25 February 2021 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

Thank you very much for your answer. I have gone through this article, but from what I understand (my german is not that good :) ), it has to do with embedded editors and not two separate ones.
Re: Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext [message #1838471 is a reply to message #1838469] Thu, 25 February 2021 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

Thank you for your answer. The EditingDomain would only allow views to co-exist (read-only), or also editors?

My idea is to have graphical and textual editors that I can use to interact with the model, not only being able to edit the model via one editors (e.g., textual), and then have views for visualization purposes (e.g., graphical).
Re: Real time synchronization between GMF and Xtext [message #1838473 is a reply to message #1838471] Thu, 25 February 2021 18:56 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

It is perhaps 10 years since I looked at EditingDomain and that was before GMF. But my recollection is that the EditingDomain is used by EMF itself in the form of Sample Ecore Model Editor and GenModel Editor.

Regards

Ed
Previous Topic:Is an ICommentAssociater used during serialization (anymore)?
Next Topic:Enhancing warnings from validator with resolve actions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:53:43 GMT 2024