Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Remote Application Platform (RAP) » Eclipse RAP application in horizontally scaled Azure WebApp Container(Common webapps folder shared across Tomcat containers causes application to fail)
Eclipse RAP application in horizontally scaled Azure WebApp Container [message #1838369] Tue, 23 February 2021 12:57 Go to next message
Gunnar Adams is currently offline Gunnar AdamsFriend
Hi,
we just deployed our application (based on RAP 3.15) in an Azure Cloud environment which uses horizontal scaling behind a load balancer to distribute sessions across a number of Tomcat instances. In this setup, the individual Tomcat instances share the same webapps folder.

When one instance terminated unexpectedly, the rwt-resources folder (including the /0/rap-client.js folder) was removed. This prevented other instances from working correctly, when trying to download rap-client.js.

I searched the rap source and saw, that it may be possible to prevent deletion of the rwt-resources folder by setting ApplicationContextImpl.skipResourceDeletion to true.

I am considering making this configurable from within the application's web.xml. I am uncertain, though, what other effects this may have.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of setup, yet ?

Best regards,
Gunnar

Re: Eclipse RAP application in horizontally scaled Azure WebApp Container [message #1838452 is a reply to message #1838369] Thu, 25 February 2021 10:52 Go to previous message
Gunnar Adams is currently offline Gunnar AdamsFriend
Hi,
I have an additional question:

Other than skipping the deletion of the rwt-resources folder on application stop, I am considering ways to separate the actual rwt-resources folders for different webApp instances. I am thinking about, for instance, including the name of the webapp host or instance in the path to rwt-resouces or make it a part of the folder-name itself.

I noticed, that the name rwt-resources is hard-coded in some source code locations (e.g.: Connection.js, ThemeStore.js, SWT.js).

I do not like to modify the Javascript-part of the framework and it may be difficult to foresee consequences. So, a general change may be difficult to do.

I think that a servlet filter intercepting requests to /rwt-resources/* could be used to transparently map the request to a differently named folder. Of course, the Java-side of the framework would still need to be adjusted (probably ResourceManagerImpl).

Please comment.

Best regards
Gunnar

Previous Topic:Open new window/popup and show custom html with css
Next Topic:DropTarget default operation for drag from Outlook
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:06:15 GMT 2024