Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Creating an Eclipse Distribution: PATH problem(When creating an Eclipse distribution the PATH does not change from its original content.)
Creating an Eclipse Distribution: PATH problem [message #1838328] Mon, 22 February 2021 11:51 Go to next message
Filipa Durão is currently offline Filipa DurãoFriend
Hello!

I'm trying to create an Eclipse distribution to share as part of my thesis work, and I read that a way to do it is to make all the changes to Eclipse that I want to do and then zip the Eclipse folder and it's ready to run on another machine.

All this worked up to a certain point: I made the changes, zipped the folder, opened it up on another machine, and ran Eclipse, all this was okay.

But then, I wanted to create a program and run it. This is where a warning appeared because Eclipse couldn't find the JDK and Python PATHs. As it turned out, the PATHs were still set for my original machine, and as such, could never work on another one.

My question is, is there any way to automatically change the PATH that Eclipse looks for when starting? Or any way to change the PATH by hand at all in this situation?

Thank you in advance!
Re: Creating an Eclipse Distribution: PATH problem [message #1838393 is a reply to message #1838328] Wed, 24 February 2021 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Are you realy just zipping up the Eclipse installation and not the workspace? Perhaps your eclipse.ini has a -vm option pointing at a specific JDK or JRE on your machine. You can remove that option (the two lines) in which case the default one from the system will be used (which may or may not work depending on what the user has installed). You can also copy a JRE to a folder named jre nested in the eclipse folder. This will be found and used by default when there is no -vm option. This makes your installation work regardless of what the user has installed.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Creating an Eclipse Distribution: PATH problem [message #1838402 is a reply to message #1838393] Wed, 24 February 2021 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Filipa Durão is currently offline Filipa DurãoFriend
Thank you for the answer! I'll try that out!

However, I'm zipping up the workspace too, yes, as I want to keep the perspectives and all the settings for the installations, such as the menus and plugins. Is there any other way to do this?

Thank you!
Re: Creating an Eclipse Distribution: PATH problem [message #1838405 is a reply to message #1838402] Wed, 24 February 2021 11:21 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
No, you should not expect the workspace to be portable across machines or even to be able to move it to a different location in the same machine.

There's Oomph for creating a "setup" that can allow you to automate the process of setting up a customized/specialized development environment:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring

For a workspace you can export the projects to a zip file and import them into a different workspace from that zip file. Better to maintain them in the Git repository.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:New to Eclipse Marketplace
Next Topic:Autocomplete
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:01:56 GMT 2024