Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Weird error while trying to start RCP Client using Webstart jnlp
Weird error while trying to start RCP Client using Webstart jnlp [message #1837974] Thu, 11 February 2021 15:05 Go to next message
Michael Frank is currently offline Michael FrankFriend
If this is better situated in the e4 Forum let me know.

I built a minimal RCP Client using https://github.com/ECF/JaxRSProviders to call server endpoints. The client is feature based and built using tycho. Targeted execution environment is Java 8.

The client starts from Eclipse without any issues.

When I tycho build the client and use the generated launcher.exe the client starts.

I then tried to write a jnlp that includes all plugins from the plugin directory and I test locally, the client doesn't start and the log gives me weird looking errors like this
!SESSION 2021-02-11 15:39:35.838 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.8.0_251
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=de_DE

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2021-02-11 15:39:36.924
!MESSAGE Bundle reference:file:C:\Users\mfrank\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\26\c761f9a-7b002a49null not found.

I say weird because of the "null" that is attached to the filename. Anyone have a pointer on what might be causing this? I think that all other errors in the log are caused by this.

I checked the cache directory and the referenced file is there, of course without the "null" at the end.

Additional information:
In my jnlp I set osgi.bundles by using the same bundles that are also present in the config.ini. I added also all the bundles mentioned at https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse4/RCP/FAQ#Why_won.27t_my_application_start.3F

I use the same startlevels as the config.ini. I checked, that the same startlevels and plugins, that are used in my eclipse runconfiguration are also present in the osgi.bundles.

Because of changes in Java 7 and because I can't use jnlp signing I use a wrapper jar that takes all properties of my jnlp that are prefixed with jnlp. strips them of the jnlp. and sets them again. This wrapper works fine with a much older e3 based client.

If necessary I can provide the jnlp and other logs. I'll attach a full log of an attempted run. You'll see that there are a lot of bundles, that can't be resolved. For me this looks like that none of the bundles mentioned in osgi.bundles are being picked up but I'm not sure. I can also provide other logs and even tracelogs if necessary, just let me know what you need 'cause I'm pretty stumped.

After any change to the jnlp and the plugins I make sure to clean the cache. All jars are signed. The jnlp is not signed. I also tried signing it but this gives me the same error.
Re: Weird error while trying to start RCP Client using Webstart jnlp [message #1837986 is a reply to message #1837974] Fri, 12 February 2021 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
Hi,

I don't really have a clue what your problem is, but I did noticed that the FAQ is outdated, org.eclipse.equinox.ds has been replaced with org.apache.felix.scr, see https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.7/platform_isv.php#equinox-ds-felix-scr
Maybe that helps you further.

Also your log seems to hint in that direction:
!ENTRY org.apache.felix.scr 4 0 2021-02-11 15:39:37.267
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.apache.felix.scr [134]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.apache.felix.service.command; version="[1.0.0,2.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.osgi.service.cm; version="[1.6.0,2.0.0)"; resolution:="optional"
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.osgi.service.component; version="[1.4.0,1.5.0)"
Re: Weird error while trying to start RCP Client using Webstart jnlp [message #1838074 is a reply to message #1837986] Mon, 15 February 2021 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thanks for your feedback, seems not too many people have any current experience with the topics as yours is the only answer so far...

I think I have tried all possible combinations of felex.scr and .ds bundles and whatnot. It doesn't change the error output, especially the "null not found." remains so I still believe it is more of a general error with my bundles.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 February 2021 13:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Weird error while trying to start RCP Client using Webstart jnlp [message #1838456 is a reply to message #1838074] Thu, 25 February 2021 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So literally no one can tell me where that null is coming from in C:\Users\mfrank\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\26\c761f9a-7b002a49null? Where else could I ask this? Perhaps it's a bug?
Re: Weird error while trying to start RCP Client using Webstart jnlp [message #1844561 is a reply to message #1838456] Thu, 16 September 2021 14:43 Go to previous message
To not have this hanging around forever some feedback: after messing around with this for far too long we have decided not to use Webstart as there was absolutely no way we could get this work in combination with the ECF JaxRSProvider, sucks for us as we have to go a different deployment and update route but this seems to be such a niche issue that not too many people want to take a look into it.
Previous Topic:Eclipse RCP Application not working on MacOS
Next Topic:RCP product with few options for creating new project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:05:00 GMT 2024