Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Syntax Checking Settings(How to manually check for syntax instead of auto checking?)
Eclipse Syntax Checking Settings [message #1837869] Tue, 09 February 2021 08:22 Go to next message
chris townsend is currently offline chris townsendFriend
Hi,

New to Eclipse and new to Java but not new to the world of programming. I admit... It's going to take me awhile to get use to the syntax of Java but as far as the language itself, I'm absorbing it fairly quickly because of experience in programming. The concepts are the same, statements, variables, loops, data structures, ect, ect...

I find it annoying that Eclipse wants to put a red 'X' on the left column as I type code. The code syntax isn't wrong, you just haven't let me finish typing the new code, "Jeesh!"

Is there a way to turn off the auto syntax check in favor of a manually check selection from the top menu? I want to get the environment more like the IDLE for Python, where I can add code then select to validate my code later for syntax errors.

Don't need all the red "Xs" popping up as I code.
Re: Eclipse Syntax Checking Settings [message #1837885 is a reply to message #1837869] Tue, 09 February 2021 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't think there is such an option to turn this off. In order to do all the smart content assist, your code is constantly being "compiled" on the fly so I'm not sure what harm there is knowing that your code would have such errors if you did save it at the point in time. I suppose it's visually distracting if you're not familiar with that, though that means you may not be exploit it much either. Ctrl-Space is your best friend...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Syntax Checking Settings [message #1837899 is a reply to message #1837885] Wed, 10 February 2021 03:37 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Check the preference page for the editor you're using for something like a "Report problems as you type" option that you can disable. Generally, though, the earlier the feedback, the better, and it should be waiting until you stop typing to actually regenerate that feedback.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Java Build Path tab not appearing
Next Topic:Yocto SDK Integration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:07:12 GMT 2024