Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » Newly installed 2020/12 for Java - WindowBuilder not working(I cannot create a GUI with 2020/12 for Java developers)
Newly installed 2020/12 for Java - WindowBuilder not working [message #1837669] Thu, 04 February 2021 02:33 Go to next message
Doug Hutcheson is currently offline Doug HutchesonFriend
I am a retired programmer using enforced lockdown to re-skill. My goal is to become proficient at Java development.

I installed Eclipse 202/12 for Java developers. Created a new SWT project. Created a new empty SWT window. Clicked on the design tab and was given a message that no GUI toolkit could be found. Eclipse Marketplace shows WindowBuilder 1.9.4 is installed.

I have browsed this forum and Google without finding this error described or solved, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

index.php/fa/39927/0/

index.php/fa/39928/0/
Re: Newly installed 2020/12 for Java - WindowBuilder not working [message #1837751 is a reply to message #1837669] Fri, 05 February 2021 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Garratt is currently offline David GarrattFriend
Hi Doug,

I've used Eclipse and WindowBuilder for a long time, but I've only used pure Java rather than SWT for my GUI designs. If you switch to code view can I assume it's showing references to the SWT as being problematic?

I found this link and it indicates that you need to add the SWT library to the project build path - sorry I'm not more helpful - my best guess.

https://www.eclipse.org/swt/eclipse.php

Re: Newly installed 2020/12 for Java - WindowBuilder not working [message #1837752 is a reply to message #1837751] Fri, 05 February 2021 11:20 Go to previous message
Doug Hutcheson is currently offline Doug HutchesonFriend
Hi David. Thanks for responding.

The good folks over at Eclipse bugzilla solved it for me. When I create a first SWT project in an empty workspace, the system defaulted to creating a module.info file. Evidently this is a BAD THING (somehow) and deleting that file made the problem go away.

The option to create the file was checked by default in the initial screen, but was off screen on my elderly laptop and I would never have guessed it was causing a problem even had I seen the option checked.

Kudos to the bugzilla folks for prompt and helpful resolution to my problem. :)
Previous Topic:What java tool does Window Maker use for Properties?
Next Topic:Control handles offset from controls in WindowBuilder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:40:43 GMT 2024