Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever(Completely unusable with no indication why)
Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837008] Wed, 20 January 2021 22:48 Go to next message
Mark Reynolds is currently offline Mark ReynoldsFriend
I am a long time Eclipse and Java user, but today is my first attempt to
install and use Eclipse 2020-12 for Java.

The OS is Ubuntu 18.04.4 x64
Step 1: eradicate all previous versions
Step 2: create a new empty workspace directory
Step 3: download the installer and run it

This appears to work. After following the indicated steps the splash screen
appears, followed by the welcome screen. I click the gadget in the upper
right corner, and the workspace view appears. In the left pane I click on
New java project. I give the project the name blah and then click Next>.
Eclipse hangs forever.

After exiting with ^C I tried other actions such as Help. Nothing works.
Until yesterday I was happily using version 2019-06 with no issues
on the same machine.

In the Configure JREs selection I have made sure that eclipse is using
its own JRE.

I depend on eclipse daily, so any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837075 is a reply to message #1837008] Thu, 21 January 2021 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

How are you launching it? Is anything showing up in the workspaces .metadata/.log log file?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837078 is a reply to message #1837075] Thu, 21 January 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I change to the install directory and execute ./eclipse

The log file is attached.

• Attachment: Log
    (Size: 2.88KB, Downloaded 154 times)
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837079 is a reply to message #1837075] Thu, 21 January 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is hanging in Setup Check, screenshot attached.
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837085 is a reply to message #1837079] Thu, 21 January 2021 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Interesting, so whatever "Setup check" is doing, it's blocking the wizard from continuing. Oomph has that string, but I'm not sure what it's doing, nor why it would block creating the project.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837093 is a reply to message #1837085] Fri, 22 January 2021 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
There are no problems in the log, and the Setup Check is a job that runs in the background, so not an indication of "the IDE hangs forever" because that wold suggest the IDE is unresponsive and cannot even paint. You can set Window -> Preferences -> Oomph -> Setup Tasks -> "Skip automatic execution at startup time" to true so that this background is not triggered. But in any case, the IDE is not hung and should be responsive to whatever activities you want to do. That job should complete or fail, though it involves network access so could take long time timeout. If you double click it, the Progress view should open and you can try to cancel the job as well.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837148 is a reply to message #1837093] Fri, 22 January 2021 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can type text into an editor window and save to file. Once I select Run or Help the spinning progress wheel is displayed. Menu items are not selectable and the only way to stop the spinning wheel indicator is ^C. A screenshot is attached.

When I say "hangs forever" I mean the eclipse UI is completely unresponsive to any mouse or keyboard actions. I have let this run overnight, and the unresponsive state persists.

I am a long time user of eclipse and I understand the difference between
foreground and background tasks. If eclipse enters a state where the UI
is unresponsive to any input I would call that "hanging forever"

2020-12 is the only release that exhibits this problem.
  • Attachment: eclipse.png
    (Size: 60.99KB, Downloaded 111 times)
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837157 is a reply to message #1837148] Fri, 22 January 2021 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Time for some detective work, then, I think. https://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock shows how to get the stack straces for the running threads. It's a place to start and see what's blocking what.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837180 is a reply to message #1837148] Sat, 23 January 2021 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
My guess is that there is something fishy with the JDK installation.

On my Kubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, the program runs fine, both on OpenJDK-11 and OpenJDK-8, which are both installable from Ubuntu repositories, see attached
screenshot.
index.php/fa/39817/0/
  • Attachment: Nuts.png
    (Size: 131.56KB, Downloaded 5035 times)

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever [message #1837185 is a reply to message #1837180] Sat, 23 January 2021 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I completely uninstalled openjdk-11 and then reinstalled it. Nothing changed.
UI completely unresponsive.
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever; will PAY for fix [message #1837186 is a reply to message #1837180] Sat, 23 January 2021 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$200 USD to your paypal.
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever; will PAY for fix [message #1837193 is a reply to message #1837186] Sun, 24 January 2021 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm sorry that your IDE hangs. If you it would be good to try to provide the information we asked to information about what all the threads are doing...

I would do the following in any case. Look in the eclipse.ini for a line "-vm" followed by a line which specify which JVM is being used. Is this the one you expect? Is this the correct one?

Try running 'eclipse -clean -debug consoleLog ' from the command line. That's using these options:

https://help.eclipse.org/2020-12/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

This should show more information about what's happening in the IDE and if things are logged you should see it right away on the command line.

I would also try a brand new empty workspace , e.g., -data <new-folder>, on the command line.

Are the problems reproducible in such a clean IDE with a clean workspace?

Check the Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs (if you're not hung right away). Are the JREs you expect here? Is there at least one good one here?

If all that is good, the problem starts when you first create a Java project? I assume so because that's what you said before. At this point it would really be good to be able to use visualvm to get information about what the threads are doing:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/visualvm/index.html

A dead lock should be evident from this information, and that will likely be more helpful for finding out how to avoid it...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse 2020-12 hangs forever; 2019-6 works perfectly [message #1837199 is a reply to message #1837193] Sun, 24 January 2021 18:47 Go to previous message
I'm sorry that your IDE hangs. If you it would be good to try to provide the information we asked to information about what all the threads are doing...

> I will collect and report this information but frankly I am not hopeful

I would do the following in any case. Look in the eclipse.ini for a line "-vm" followed by a line which specify which JVM is being used. Is this the one you expect? Is this the correct one?

> Yes

Try running 'eclipse -clean -debug consoleLog ' from the command line. That's using these options:

https://help.eclipse.org/2020-12/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

This should show more information about what's happening in the IDE and if things are logged you should see it right away on the command line.
> This produces the following: " BUG; pixman_region32_init_rect: invalid rectangle passed" This appears 3 times

I would also try a brand new empty workspace , e.g., -data <new-folder>, on the command line.

> No change

Are the problems reproducible in such a clean IDE with a clean workspace?

> Yes

Check the Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs (if you're not hung right away). Are the JREs you expect here? Is there at least one good one here?

>Yes

If all that is good, the problem starts when you first create a Java project? I assume so because that's what you said before. At this point it would really be good to be able to use visualvm to get information about what the threads are doing:

> Essentially nothing works. Create java project; IDE hangs; ^C;
> relaunch eclipse - project is present; create new class; IDE hangs; ^C;
> relaunch eclipse - type in HelloWord.java - save file (this works!);
> select Run Configuration or Run; IDE hangs; ^C; relaunch eclipse;
> select Help - IDE hangs

> The ide is so unresponsive that even the Cancel Task button rarely works.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/visualvm/index.html

A dead lock should be evident from this information, and that will likely be more helpful for finding out how to avoid it...

> I will collect this information.

> Notes: a. completely uninstalling java-11 and then reinstalling it changes
> nothing. Uninstalling 2020-12 and installing 2019-06 works perfectly.
> Also IntelliJ Community Edition works perfectly.

>Perhaps 2021-06 will be less broken. In 5+ years of using eclipse this
>is the first blocker. FWIW this seems more like a display/windowing
> problem than a java config problem.
Previous Topic:can't find New->Project -> Java Script Project
Next Topic:Error when installing eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:09:43 GMT 2024