Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Red Squares instead of most view icons (Problem after update to Eclipse 2020.12)
Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1836478] Tue, 05 January 2021 14:56 Go to next message
Yurii Polianytsia is currently offline Yurii PolianytsiaFriend
After updating to Eclipse 2020.12 most icons from Views are turned to red squares every time I restart Eclipse (screen 1). They turned back to normal when clicking on them (screen 2) until next restart. Any way to fix it?

[Updated on: Tue, 05 January 2021 14:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1836495 is a reply to message #1836478] Tue, 05 January 2021 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

How was this update done, and what release are you coming from? You have perspectives that used to be there acting like they're no longer installed.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1836502 is a reply to message #1836495] Wed, 06 January 2021 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 23:29
How was this update done, and what release are you coming from? You have perspectives that used to be there acting like they're no longer installed.

Thanks for the reply.

Update was done by installing new the version of eclipse into the new folder.

Previous version of eclipse I've used was 2020.06 (4.16).

I know that it looks like so but it is not the case I've shown on the screenshots the behavior: view icon appears when view clicked and that works for all views with red icons but all icons turns red again after eclipse restart. And this bug affects built-in views as well (for example Breakpoints, Variables, Expressions etc. views are affected). I've made a screen collage to show the problem on one image.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 January 2021 06:36]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1836547 is a reply to message #1836495] Thu, 07 January 2021 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've checked the workspace log files and there are a lot of FileNotFoundException about .gif files, like this:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /icons/full/eview16/debug_view.gif
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 507.42KB, Downloaded 311 times)
Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1836552 is a reply to message #1836547] Thu, 07 January 2021 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So after 3 hours thrown at restoring workspace from backup and reinstalling Eclipse several times I think the problem is that the Eclipse 2020.12 incorrectly upgrades workspace to the new version.

I've managed to fix this by using Export->Preferences in previous version of Eclipse to export my workbench and reseting workbench (delete workspce\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.e4.workbench\workbench.xmi ) and using Import-Preferences to restore workbench from the file in the new version of Eclipse. Now it works as it should.
Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1841959 is a reply to message #1836478] Fri, 04 June 2021 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eran shaham is currently offline eran shahamFriend
go to:
Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.e4.workbench\

and in the file workbench.xmi, change all *.gif -> *.png
Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1842504 is a reply to message #1841959] Mon, 21 June 2021 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jean-David Maillefer is currently offline Jean-David MailleferFriend
Thanks, eran, changing all .gif to .png worked well for me. I had this issue since a few month and was unable to fix it. Very appreciated :-)
For the others with the same problem, here is a sed command to fix it (assuming current directory is the workspace to fix):
sed -i.bkp -e 's/.gif/.png/g' .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi

Maybe this step should be added to the workspace upgrade step ?
Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1849552 is a reply to message #1842504] Mon, 24 January 2022 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamie Maher is currently offline Jamie MaherFriend
Thanks for posting this!

I thought it was a graphics card issue on my computer causing it.

I did a replacement of *.gif to *.png as noted below, but I did find there were still one or two icons that were red, this was caused by some plugins that still reference gifs.

If you check your workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ui.workbench/log file you can determine which plugins still are referencing gif files by the file not found messages, and just change those 2 or 3 entires in the workbench.xml back to gifs.

eg.
plugin/org.eclipse.wst.server.ui/icons/cview16/servers_view.gif

Quote:

go to:
Workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.e4.workbench\

and in the file workbench.xmi, change all *.gif -> *.png
Re: Red Squares instead of most view icons [message #1849704 is a reply to message #1849552] Sun, 30 January 2022 16:21 Go to previous message
Alex Freidin is currently offline Alex FreidinFriend
The problem appears after upgrading Eclipse and opening an old workspace from an older version.
After digging as to why this happened, I found it is due to this bug fix: [Graphics]Replace gif icons with png files in Eclipse platform projects

The simplest solution is to delete (or rename) the file in the workspace when it is not open in Eclipse: <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi
The views will return to their default layout, but will not loose data, e.g. list of breakpoints.

It was known that this change will break old workspaces, according to bug discussions. E.g. here.
Previous Topic:Unable to name/rename in RunConfiguration
Next Topic:eclipse installer problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:27:39 GMT 2024