Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse for NIOS (Intel née Altera C Code Development) won't import/create new(Project import/creation)
Eclipse for NIOS (Intel née Altera C Code Development) won't import/create new [message #1835902] Wed, 16 December 2020 08:15 Go to next message
Robert Wood is currently offline Robert WoodFriend
I have hardly used Eclipse over the years (generally stuck to Crossworks/Keil/IAR and other natively compiled apps) but have to do a project for an Altera (or Intel as thy are now) FPGA soft core C code development.

You have to create the proecssor core that runs the code in one tool and then use Eclipse (it looks like it's a version called Mars whatever that means), then create a new project that uses this soft core processor. Intel/Altera's Quartus tool which creates the core works very nicely, but it then passes everything over to Eclipse which is where it goes Pete Tong.

I have the same issue when either trying to create a brand new project or import an existing project . (As an aside, I don't get this "import project" thing at all in Eclipse - why is it importing a project? Why not just opening it? Is it the same thing just with a different name or is this something different? Can you actually open a project rather than importing one?)

Anyway, I'm running Linux, I'm not using my distribution's Eclipse install, I'm using the Altera/Intel one). When I try to import an existing project it sits there with this round object with red and blue arrows chasing each other's tails looking like it's trying to import the project but getting nowhere at all.

Eventually (and I mean eventually, we're talking ten minutes or so), it might stop and say it can't import the project because it "overlaps" with existing projects. Sometimes it comes back and it looks like it's found and imported a project, but you can't click the tick box next to the project name in the list of found projects, the finish button is greyed out.

It's the same story with creating a new project. From the file menu you can select:

File | New | NIOS II Application and BSP from template

Which, I guess, means Altera have modded the basic Eclipse IDE to add some special functionality. I'm assuming Eclipse is open source and it's possible to mod the code to make your own version.

Anyway, the point is, if you try to create a new project, it just sits there doing nothing and never, ever comes out of it.

I have tried on the Altera/Intel forum, but it seems dead there. So, I'm trying here in desperation. I appreciate, for a start, this is likely not enough information to debug this, but I can give any information that would help if I knew what to do. I'm more than happy to run anything, find any logs etc that would help.

Would be most grateful for any assistance. FWIW I'm running Mageia 7, I'vetried this on two machines, both high spec machines that fly, so it's not a resource issue.

Many thanks.
Re: Eclipse for NIOS (Intel née Altera C Code Development) won't import/create new [message #1835964 is a reply to message #1835902] Thu, 17 December 2020 09:41 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Eclipse Mars is a very outdated version.

Eclipse is a platform, and yes, the Eclipse IDE is extensible via OSGi plug-ins. Various vendors build their own specialized IDEs on top of it. I suppose Intel/Altera have done so, too.

Surely Intel/Altera have commercial support? Contact them. Who knows what they might have done, and why it doesn't work for you.
Previous Topic:Forum for paho.golang?
Next Topic:Hello, My Eclipse isn't working properly
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:43:45 GMT 2024