Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Won't install(I am unable to install the Eclipse as an error 'NLS Message Missing:' pops up.)
Eclipse Won't install [message #1835888] Tue, 15 December 2020 19:50 Go to next message
Gopal Dhondi is currently offline Gopal DhondiFriend
I downloaded the latest eclipse setup and tried to install it in my PC, but I get this error "NLS missing message: ECLIPSE_STARTUP_ERROR_CHECK_LOG in: org.eclipse.osgi.internal.messages.ExternalMessages". But when i used the same setup file in another PC, it got installed. Here both the PCs are installed with the same version of the Windows 10 and the Hardware is identical.

Now what am i missing here that I am unable to install it.

Before I posted this question I saw a lot of similar question related to the same error with Eclipse. But for those all problems the error occurred after installing the Eclipse while opening the workspace. Hence the solution given to them don't work much for me..

For me I get this error the moment I run the setup.

Please help me. I need to deliver a project.

I have attached the Screenshot
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1835899 is a reply to message #1835888] Wed, 16 December 2020 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently online Ed MerksFriend
That message is defined as:

ECLIPSE_STARTUP_ERROR_CHECK_LOG=An error has occurred. See the log file\n{0}.

So something has gone horribly wrong at startup of the installer, so wrong that even messages could not be loaded.

You could try this newer/latest version of the installer:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/products/eclipse-inst-jre-win64.exe

Or download and unzip a package:

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

The 2020-12 release will be available later today.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1835981 is a reply to message #1835899] Thu, 17 December 2020 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ed Merks,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried looking for the Log, but it seems that the log is not generating in the specified path (in Temporary Folder) {Please Correct me if I am looking the log at the wrong place/path}. May be the process ends before it generates the Log.

I downloaded the latest version as you suggested, But I still get the same error.

I also downloaded the C/C++ Package and tried running it, But I still get the same error.
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1836000 is a reply to message #1835981] Fri, 18 December 2020 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the installer extracts itself to a temporary location so finding the log is challenging. But, if you run it like this from a cmd prompt:

eclipse-inst-jre-win64.exe --debug -consolelog 1> log1 2> log2

The log1 file wills how where it is extracted and a cmd window will open showing the logged of the running application.

But if the same thing is going horribly wrong launching Eclipse itself, I'm not sure what to suggest.

You can also run

eclipsec.exe -consolelog

to see what's being logged.

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1836029 is a reply to message #1836000] Fri, 18 December 2020 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the reply,

Well I tried the way you suggested, i.e. 'eclipse-inst-jre-win64.exe --debug -consolelog 1> log1 2> log2' by running on the cmd. And I got the 2 log files and also I copied the installation log generated during installation on CMD. i.e. I named it as 'CMD logs.txt'.

Can you please go through these files. and let me know what is the issue.

I understood by the log 2 file that it is unable to create the directory. and the log 1 file is blank.

but I am unable to understand the problem fully with the CMD generated log while installation i.e.'CMD logs.txt'. Can you please guide me through this.

I have attached the log files. please go through them and guide me.

Thanks for all this help.
  • Attachment: log2
    (Size: 1.09KB, Downloaded 318 times)
  • Attachment: CMD logs.txt
    (Size: 634.64KB, Downloaded 223 times)
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1836033 is a reply to message #1836029] Fri, 18 December 2020 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's like you don't have permission to create folders in your own Temp space, but then it does appear the installer application launches. You're saying the unzipped package download also fails like this? Perhaps the you have some extreme virus scanner that's just blocking way too much... Can you show the log from running the C/C++ IDE package?

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1836071 is a reply to message #1836033] Sat, 19 December 2020 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah Sure,

I have attached the logs for the 'C/C++ Package'.

log1 and log2 files are blank. Hence I didn't upload them.
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1836082 is a reply to message #1836071] Sun, 20 December 2020 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The start of the log is cut off, though I don't think that will help further explain why practically all bundles fails to start on your machine. My guess would be some antivirus software is aggressively keeping you safe.

But I find similar stack traces in places like this:

https://github.com/java-native-access/jna/issues/511

And that suggest issues with your OS name not being recognized such that none of the Java Native Access works properly.

Maybe the JRE embedded in the installer and the package you've tried doesn't work on your specific OS for some unknown reason. You could try this installer which will require you to have a functioning version of Java 11 installed on your machine in order for it to run:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/products/eclipse-inst-win64.exe

If that works you'll be able to install any IDE that used that version of Java 11 as well.

Ed Merks
Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1836232 is a reply to message #1836082] Fri, 25 December 2020 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Ed,

Thanks for the throwing the light on it. Well I kind a did the work around. It seems that I had some permission issues with the 'Drive C:' so I went on to copy the C/C++ Package in the other drive and I tried running it. And GUESS WHAT!!! It successfully is working finely.

Thanks for guiding me through this. Will Never forget your help.

Happy X-Mas !!

[Updated on: Fri, 25 December 2020 09:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Won't install [message #1849287 is a reply to message #1836232] Tue, 11 January 2022 13:24 Go to previous message
Anurag Kadu is currently offline Anurag KaduFriend
Hi Gopal,
I am also facing same issue can you please help me for this.
Previous Topic:Eclipse JAVA IDE crashing
Next Topic:How too run Eclipse Jetty as PHP Webserver ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:10:06 GMT 2024