Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse upgrade problem(UPGRADE (not fresh install) to 2020-09 on macOS 10.14.6)
Eclipse upgrade problem [message #1835720] Thu, 10 December 2020 22:33 Go to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
I was using Eclipse 2019-03 on macOS Mojave.
I wanted to upgrade to the recent Eclipse 2020-09, and retain my previous functionality that I had from installed components.

I used the Eclipse Installer, and I had no issues/problems identified during installation.

When I open the new Eclipse, it opens. When I specify my previously usable workspace, Eclipse indicates that it will modify the workspace and the workspace won't be usable with older versions of Eclipse. OK... However, when Eclipse then opens the workspace, it fails in that all of the view/editor windows in the workbench page are blank with errors like:
In the Package-Explorer: "Could not create the view: org.python.pydev.navigator.view".
In files which should be opened for editing: "No editor descriptor for id org.python.pydev.editor.PythonEditor"

I was assuming that the new Eclipse would be installed over the top of my pre-existing Eclipse configuration which also had python installed.
When I check under {About>InstallationDetails>Installed Software}, I can see that the New Eclipse version is missing "pyDev for Eclipse". So perhaps the Installer (despite being billed on the website as: "The easiest way to install and update your Eclipse Development Environment" ) doesn't really update, but rather just installs a fresh clean version...

So I guess my question is: is there an alternative way to UPGRADE Eclipse and retain all of my previous installed components. Or is that not possible or recommended?

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 December 2020 23:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse upgrade problem [message #1835725 is a reply to message #1835720] Fri, 11 December 2020 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
SOLVED:
For those interested, I followed the other upgrade instructions at: https://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_upgrade_Eclipse_IDE%3F

This actually seems to upgrade Eclipse and NOT do a fresh install.

I would suggest that the Eclipse Installer website change their verbiage from: "The easiest way to install and update your Eclipse Development Environment."
to:
"The easiest way to install your Eclipse Development Environment."

Jim

Re: Eclipse upgrade problem [message #1849136 is a reply to message #1835725] Wed, 05 January 2022 09:14 Go to previous message
Leszek Gajecki is currently offline Leszek GajeckiFriend
Currently (January 2022) the update the eclipse to the newesthttps://download.eclipse.org/releases/2021-12/ and https://download.eclipse.org/releases/latest helped, but also Java 11 (I'm using Oracle Java at Ubuntu 18) was required. At the webpage of PyDev the minimal versions are given.
Previous Topic:IAR plug-in debugger problem
Next Topic:Java 17 Support install site not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:03:27 GMT 2024