Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » crash caused by insufficient cache(Eclipse crashes with many error messages about insufficient cache)
crash caused by insufficient cache [message #1835521] Sat, 05 December 2020 16:48 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
I am in the process of setting up Eclipse to debug some website development that I am working on.

When I run 'about Eclipse', the information provided is:

Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java Developers (includes Incubating components)

Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200

I am running Tomcat 9.0.38 as the local server.

When I created the project, I initially started with a shell of my real project and only about 0.001% of the source code was included. I was able to run the project and a web browser came up in Eclipse. My code crashed. No problem because the source code was incomplete.

Then I added the remainder of the source code to the project and tried to run the project again. It crashed with many, many errors about insufficient cache. I cut and pasted the error messages into a file, named errMsg.txt, which I'm attaching. I have also attached an abbreviated version of the file, named abbr_errMsg.txt, which hopefully contains the pertinent information but is easier to review. The full file is included, in case more detail is needed.

I am not sure how to identify the appropriate cache in Eclipse and more importantly, I can not figure out how to increase the size. I did some searching about the error messages on the internet, but I can not yet find a solution. Can someone advise how to increase the cache or point me to instructions on how to do so?

A secondary question is why does Eclipse cache need to be configured? I have loads of memory available and would expect Eclipse to allocate memory to the cache as needed. No need to answer this question because I am just thinking out loud and curious.

Jim
  • Attachment: abbr_errMsg.txt
    (Size: 6.99KB, Downloaded 106 times)
  • Attachment: errMsg.txt
    (Size: 78.29KB, Downloaded 139 times)
Re: crash caused by insufficient cache [message #1835523 is a reply to message #1835521] Sat, 05 December 2020 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
These error messages are not from Eclipse but from the web server you try to start. Please refer to the web server documentation, and double check whether you really need all these files in your deployed web application.
Re: crash caused by insufficient cache [message #1835542 is a reply to message #1835523] Sun, 06 December 2020 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: crash caused by insufficient cache [message #1835543 is a reply to message #1835542] Sun, 06 December 2020 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you. I will take a good look at Tomcat.

Jim
Re: crash caused by insufficient cache [message #1835558 is a reply to message #1835543] Sun, 06 December 2020 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried the following, but Tomcat 9 is still getting insufficient cache error messages.

In Eclipse project explorer, I right clicked on 'Tomcat V9.0 Server at localhost-config' and selected 'Debug as --> Debug configurations'.

The 'Debug Configurations' window popped up for the Tomcat V9.0 server.

I selected the 'Environment' tab and created the environment variable "CATALINA_OPTS' and set the value to "server -Xmx512m".

The entire size of my project is 22 m-bytes, so either I am not setting the cache to 512 megabytes as I am trying to do, or Tomcat 9 is failing for some other reason.
I will be doing more research, but would appreciate any suggetions.

Jim
Re: crash caused by insufficient cache [message #1835559 is a reply to message #1835558] Sun, 06 December 2020 21:14 Go to previous message
My mistake. As mentioned earlier, this problem is a Tomcat problem. Without thinking, I came back and posted here. Dumb!

This topic is closed.
Previous Topic:Errors Occurring due to spring-orm file
Next Topic:Plugin development in eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:16:42 GMT 2024