Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming?
Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming? [message #1835033] Mon, 23 November 2020 17:19 Go to next message
quel opera is currently offline quel operaFriend
Hi, I have a very slow machine (Atom with 1 gig of ram). I normally use Notepad++ but now want more advance features like a debugger, code completition, etc.

I have tried the following and didn't like them:

PHPStorm (slow and memory hungry)

Netbeans (same as PHPStorm)

Eclipse PDT (same as PHPStorm)

Sublime Text 2 ( many plugins are a real pain to get working, it would take me weeks to have it as I want. Some plugins gave me errors I couldn't solve after searching a lot. )

Do you know any lightweight PHP IDE that is good enough, and would offer at least code completition, debuggin (xdebug?) and detect syntax errors as I type?

Re: Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming? [message #1835972 is a reply to message #1835033] Thu, 17 December 2020 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilton Cartwright is currently offline Hilton CartwrightFriend
I used SciTE and EclipsePDT for several years while I was learning, then I tried Netbeans, PHPStorm, and a couple others. I finally choose Geany and used it for 2 years before I switched to Sublime text 2.

Linux: Geany has code-completion based on what documents you have open. I have even used it when writing letters as it knows what words you have already used. Geany has nice themes and is very lightweight.

Windows: SciTE is very light and fast. No custom code completion though.
Re: Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming? [message #1849065 is a reply to message #1835033] Sat, 01 January 2022 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jay bumrah is currently offline jay bumrahFriend
quel opera wrote on Mon, 23 November 2020 17:19
Hi, I have a very slow machine (Atom with 1 gig of ram). I normally use Notepad++ but now want more advance features like a debugger, code completition, etc.

I have tried the following and didn't like them:

PHPStorm (slow and memory hungry)

Netbeans (same as PHPStorm)

Eclipse PDT (same as PHPStorm)

Sublime Text 2 ( many plugins are a real pain to get working, it would take me weeks to have it as I want. Some plugins gave me errors I couldn't solve after searching a lot. )

Do you know any lightweight PHP IDE that is good enough, and would offer at least code completition, debuggin (xdebug?) and detect syntax errors as I type?

Same need here.
Re: Best lightweight IDE for PHP programming? [message #1849383 is a reply to message #1849065] Sat, 15 January 2022 07:00 Go to previous message
chap charlie is currently offline chap charlieFriend
You have listed pretty much all of them.

If you want to go on a more professional side, use Laravel. It's the best framework.
Previous Topic:PDT, MAMP, and Xdebug
Next Topic:[Ignore topic] Avoid automatic start of debug when "calling" web application in browser
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:56:51 GMT 2024