Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution
I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1834993] Mon, 23 November 2020 09:01 Go to next message
Martín García is currently offline Martín GarcíaFriend
Hello everyone.

First of all, sorry if this post not be on the correct site of forum, I am new here.

I have used Eclipse since 2014 as the default IDE for Java programming, and recently decided to uninstall Eclipse Neon and move to the latest version of Eclipse. But in the new version, when I write a method and the intellisense screen appears that offers different possible methods, the second screen that offered API information of the method suggested by intellisense, does not appear.

Throughout the last 7 days I have been looking for a solution on the Internet, but I did not see anyone with the same problem, so I am a little strange.
On the other hand, I have checked the program settings, but I did not find the option to activate the screen, partly because I do not know the name of it either.

It is strange that the new version does not allow users to use an option, which in Neon was by default and I see it so useful, but I want to know if it is possible to activate it in the settings, and if so, how can I do it.

Does anyone know?

My question is simple: How can I activate the second intellisense screen that shows Java API information about suggested methods in the intellisense screen in Eclipse?

This is the screen that I can't see in the latest version:
(I attach a picture to show the screen)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Eclipse is:
Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835002 is a reply to message #1834993] Mon, 23 November 2020 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Is your project's JRE System Library set to something that includes JavaDoc, like a JDK, or something that doesn't and needs further setup?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835005 is a reply to message #1835002] Mon, 23 November 2020 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that requires customization of mine, no.
So I think not.

I just installed Eclipse and used it to make a simple class.

How can I confirm / see it?
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835019 is a reply to message #1835005] Mon, 23 November 2020 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In the Package Explorer, within your project, there's a node named "JRE System Library" that shows which runtime that specific project is compiling against. That's where it will look for JavaDoc if you're editing sources in that project.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835037 is a reply to message #1834993] Mon, 23 November 2020 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First of all, thank you very much for your help Nitin Dahyabhai, although I have been trying to learn Java for years on my own, the truth is that I have a lot to learn. Your help means a lot, thank you. ^^

On the other hand, I have looked for the folder you mention to me and yes, I have it:

PI_NumerosPasos \ JRESystemLibrary \ jdk.javadoc

I attach an image so you can see what I get. I hope that this way you can solve your doubt.
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835046 is a reply to message #1835037] Mon, 23 November 2020 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Those are actually modules and packages for supporting the generation of Javadoc, not actual reference Javadoc. It looks like you'll need to 1) Install an actual JDK from somewhere like adoptopenjdk.net , 2) add the newly installed JDK to your Installed JREs preference page, and 3) right-click on that node and choose that JDK instead of the the current value, which looks like the one provided to run Eclipse itself.

In general, if you're going to develop something using Java, you should install and use a full JDK and not just a Java runtime.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai

[Updated on: Mon, 23 November 2020 23:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835061 is a reply to message #1835046] Tue, 24 November 2020 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Mon, 23 November 2020 23:20
In general, if you're going to develop something using Java, you should install and use a full JDK and not just a Java runtime.

True, but note that the jars are all in the .p2 pool. Is this JRE14 the justj JRE bundled with Eclipse so that Eclipse can run at all without users having to install a JRE/JDK first?

Perhaps the EPPs for Java should include not a JRE but a JDK, and the Oomph installer should set up a JDK when it installs an Eclipse for Java development?

Or perhaps things should be set up such that the justj JREs used to run Eclipse are not available as Java targets to build against? If a JDK cannot be included for whatever reason, an Eclipse for Java development could even prompt the user to download and install a JDK if none can be found. Even better, it could do it for the user: show a dialog, let the user select the Java version(s), download and install the JDK(s).

(There are also some other reports about people not being able to run javac. Likely that's also related to them having only a (justj?) JRE but no JDK.)

@Ed Merks, what's your take on this?
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835063 is a reply to message #1835061] Tue, 24 November 2020 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently online Ed MerksFriend
This is probably not the place to have this discussion. There was this bug opened asking for the JustJ complete JREs to contains the src.zip:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=567699

No one has asked for anything about javadoc. Is that really a separate "thing" that could be included or is it computed from the source and hence the problem will be addressed when EPP uses the latest Java 15 JustJ JRE?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835068 is a reply to message #1835063] Tue, 24 November 2020 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I'm quite sure now that the issue boils down to whether there is a src.zip in the JRE. Most JDKs don't appear to come with embedded Javadoc but JDT appears to compute an online Javadoc location based on the version. So I suspect that Javadoc hover are computed dynamically from the source. In any case, this worked well for me with a JustJ 15.0.1 JRE...

Ed Merks
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835069 is a reply to message #1835046] Tue, 24 November 2020 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title = Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Monday 23 November 2020 23:20] ... you will need
1) Install a real JDK from somewhere like adoptopenjdk.net.
2) Add the newly installed JDK to your Installed JRE preferences page,
Y
3) Right click on that node and choose that JDK instead of the current value, which looks like the one provided to run Eclipse.

In general, if you are going to develop something using Java, you must install and use a full JDK and not just a Java runtime. [/quote]

Good.
1.) READY. (I downloaded the JDK from the website you recommended.)
2.) READY (I understand this page is "Properties" of the JRE system library in the Eclipse project explorer).
3.) READY (I also changed the JRE, installed https://www.java.com/es/download/manual.jsp JRE

But the problem is not solved :(

I attach an image of steps 2 and 3.
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835133 is a reply to message #1834993] Wed, 25 November 2020 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been trying different options and I have tried to install Eclipse on another computer and I have the same problem, so I have thought that maybe it is that I installed the wrong java, the jdk, the jre and the eclipse itself ... It is something that surprises me , but, it's the only thing I can think of doing at this point.

Do you have this information screen in your Eclipse next to the Intellisense screen?

Do you know if there is any way to completely uninstall Eclipse, Java, JDK and JRE, to be able to do an installation from scratch and in the correct order through a complete guide that certifies that the program is perfectly installed and functional?
It is to leave doubts.

I ask, because if the failure occurs on two different computers, I think it is unlikely that it is a failure of the computer itself. Although I am almost completely convinced that this window has to be enabled or disabled in Eclipse. But in the absence of finding an option that allows you to do so, if you have this window simply by installing the program, I understand that it may be a configuration error in the installation.

I honestly don't know what else to do or try.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 November 2020 12:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835250 is a reply to message #1835133] Sat, 28 November 2020 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I understand the issue correctly, you need a src.zip to be present. But that's not generally present in a JRE and you show a references to a JRE. You need a JDK with a src.zip, not just a JRE...

Ed Merks
Re: I have a problem with the intellisense screen and I can't localize solution [message #1835738 is a reply to message #1835250] Fri, 11 December 2020 07:47 Go to previous message
Ed Merks wrote on Sat, 28 November 2020 05:07
If I understand the issue correctly, you need a src.zip to be present. But that's not generally present in a JRE and you show a references to a JRE. You need a JDK with a src.zip, not just a JRE...

Hi, finally I solved my problem deleting all java content(jre,jdk and eclipse) and Re-installing all on the correct order. Thanks for your support guys ^^ I can use Eclipse absolutely full right now ^^.
Previous Topic:Cannot install any plugin
Next Topic:Launch Issue with 2020-06 on Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 GTK 3.18.9 JRE 8
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:13:02 GMT 2024