Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » How to package my RCP app to work with GEF 5 and honor licensing terms
How to package my RCP app to work with GEF 5 and honor licensing terms [message #1834956] Sun, 22 November 2020 10:19 Go to next message
Ken Keefe is currently offline Ken KeefeFriend
I have a large Eclipse e4 RCP application and several of its plugins use GEF 5. I have recently upgraded everything to use Java 11. In order to make this work, I have downloaded and installed the JavaFX 11.0.2 SDK locally on my machine. I added the system property "-Defxclipse.java-modules.dir=/Library/Java/Extensions/javafx-sdk-11.0.2/lib" like the GEF Getting Started doc recommends. From here, I was able to run my product from Eclipse and everything looks good.

However, I need to package this RCP product up and release it as a commercially licensed tool. This creates the problem that I will need to require my users to download and install JavaFX and install it in the specific path pointed to by the property argument above. I don't think I can distribute JavaFX 11.0.2 myself since it is GPLv2. Is there a solution to this problem?

Actually, can I use my own commercial license if my software "links" to the JavaFX 11.0.2 libraries since they are GPLv2?
Re: How to package my RCP app to work with GEF 5 and honor licensing terms [message #1834957 is a reply to message #1834956] Sun, 22 November 2020 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tamas Miklossy is currently offline Tamas MiklossyFriend
Hello Ken!

Have you already considered the blog post under https://blogs.itemis.com/en/after-eight-eclipse-development-with-java-and-javafx

You may get some inspiration from it, even repeat your question there as a comment to that post.
In that way it is more likely to get some information there.

Hope that helps!
Tamás
Re: How to package my RCP app to work with GEF 5 and honor licensing terms [message #1834979 is a reply to message #1834956] Sun, 22 November 2020 19:02 Go to previous message
Alexander Nyssen is currently offline Alexander NyssenFriend
JavaFX is provided under the same license as the Java SE, namely https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/binary-code-license.html. If I interpret your statement correctly, you seem to be referring to the Gluon SDK though. This seems to be provided under GPL v2, but with the classpath exception, and IMHO that should keep you safe as well.
Previous Topic:Advice for reordering tree items using AbstractTreeEditPart & policies??
Next Topic:GEF stand alone, GEF 5 or 3?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:28:20 GMT 2024