Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly?
What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834721] Mon, 16 November 2020 19:58 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
For the longest time, because I believe I read it somewhere, the value provided for the "-vm" option in the "eclipse.ini" file should end with "bin", or simply the directory that contains the "javaw" executable. I've been configuring Eclipse distributions like this for a long time, and it has always worked, resulting in the Java distribution at that location being used to run Eclipse.

However, I just noticed the information at this page: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse.ini .

Quote:
The value must be the full absolute or relative path to the Java executable, not just to the Java home directory.

In the sample below this, it uses an example of "C:\Java\JDK\1.8\bin\javaw.exe".

Clearly, the Eclipse documentation conflicts with what I thought.

In reality, I believe that this value can end with the directory containing "javaw", or ending with "javaw", and either will work. I've just determined this with experimentation.

Was it intended for both of these approaches to work?
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834742 is a reply to message #1834721] Tue, 17 November 2020 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, I believe this is all intentional. Note that it appears you can even point at "the shared library". Eg., on mac you can point at <jre>/lib/libjli.dylib and that works too.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834777 is a reply to message #1834742] Tue, 17 November 2020 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case, it would be good if that documentation page was revised to reflect this. There is often confusion about what the required form is, and people waste time fiddling with this value to attempt to solve unrelated problems, to no effect.
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834790 is a reply to message #1834777] Wed, 18 November 2020 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a wiki so you could revise it.

Ed Merks
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834832 is a reply to message #1834790] Wed, 18 November 2020 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure, I suppose I could do that, if I knew exactly what changes should be made to it. Are you really asking me to write documentation for code that I know nothing about, or can only guess at?
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834850 is a reply to message #1834832] Thu, 19 November 2020 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're hoping someone else will do it, that someone else isn't listening to this forum. That someone else might be listening to that page and might notice if you edit it...

Ed Merks
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834882 is a reply to message #1834850] Thu, 19 November 2020 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, ok. Interesting strategy. I'll give that a try.
Re: What does the "-vm" option value need to be exactly? [message #1834885 is a reply to message #1834882] Thu, 19 November 2020 17:55 Go to previous message
I'm just being realistic; idealism is a bit starved. It's really hard to keep everything maintained. So thank you for answering questions that other users are asking (on the JDT forum).

Ed Merks
Previous Topic:SWT ImageData loader and 1bpp images
Next Topic:Massive difference in included bundles in eclipse repository
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:46:39 GMT 2024